Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bearing Thomas Crash

Just seen Geraint Thomas smack his head on a telegraph post doing about 30mph. Do you think he would have been able to continue the race had he not been wearing a helmet ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Actually the question that I originally posted really required just two simple answers YES or NO. Fancy that it should create such a stir !

kwi replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

Actually the question that I originally posted really required just two simple answers YES or NO. Fancy that it should create such a stir !

You forgot 'Maybe' because we'll never know, helmet certainly didn't look damaged in the post race interview, which it would of been had it done its job as designed.

Batchy replied to kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes
kwi wrote:
Batchy wrote:

You forgot 'Maybe' because we'll never know, helmet certainly didn't look damaged in the post race interview, which it would of been had it done its job as designed.

Actually his helmet was dented. This was shown on the ITV 4 Highlights last night .

atgni | 8 years ago
0 likes

Post = comment; see just above where you type.  37

Perhaps someone of the 'it didn't help' side could volunteer to recreate without a helmet just to prove their point.

PS can't believe (thankful) he didn't suffer neck, shoulder or back injuries myself given the overall impact / landing.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

//c8.alamy.com/comp/EEG4NP/to-the-sea-sign-nailed-to-a-tree-EEG4NP.jpg)

Get in...

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Not you?
It has your name under it, so it was either you or your mum.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Another attempt at a helmet debate...

Good job they're made of polystyrene; they should help you float when you get in the sea...

Must be Mad | 8 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I genuinely have NEVER seen anything written from that perspective. People are anti-compulsion, not anti-choice.

Try reading any of the many, many helmet debated on here! Plenty of people who scorn the very notion that a helmet might provide any help whatsoever.

farrell replied to Must be Mad | 8 years ago
0 likes
Must be Mad wrote:
Quote:

I genuinely have NEVER seen anything written from that perspective. People are anti-compulsion, not anti-choice.

Try reading any of the many, many helmet debated on here! Plenty of people who scorn the very notion that a helmet might provide any help whatsoever.

I disagree. What does come up very often is people saying that other people are anti-helmet and then someone else says 'No, people are anti-compulsion' to which someone replies with 'No, lots of people on here are completely anti-helmet'.

Then someone has to chime in saying that they disagree and have to point out that what does come up very often is people saying that other people are anti-helmet and then someone else says 'No, people are anti-compulsion' to which someone replies with 'No, lots of people on here are completely anti-helmet'.

Then someone has to chime in saying that they disagree and have to point out that what does come up very often is people saying that other people are anti-helmet and then someone else says 'No, people are anti-compulsion' to which someone replies with 'No, lots of people on here are completely anti-helmet'.

Make the madness stop...

Jimbomitch | 8 years ago
0 likes

Each camp to there own, live and let live and all that....................... but I know when I replace my helmet, I'm gonna buy a Kask.

Quince | 8 years ago
0 likes

"Do you think he would have been able to continue the race had he not been wearing a helmet ?"

I don't know, but seeing as no-one seems to be campaigning to get rid of helmets in pro racing, it doesn't seem like a very pressing issue...

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

But you did make a post on another thread commenting on the Geraint Thomas crash and referring to the use of a helmet, right?

Here it is:

"Well thankfully G WAS wearing a HELMET !"

i.e., this was your second post making reference to the G crash and the use of helmets...

So do give over, there's a good chap.

Batchy replied to crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

But you did make a post on another thread commenting on the Geraint Thomas crash and referring to the use of a helmet, right?

Here it is:

i.e., this was your second post making reference to the G crash and the use of helmets...

Yes it was me and thankfully G was wearing a helmet ! This was a comment to a similar story posted by someone else.

Batchy replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:
crikey wrote:

Here it is:

Yes it was me and thankfully G was wearing a helmet ! This was a comment to a similar story posted by someone else.

By the way, I also think that Sky are doing a brilliant job at TdF. This IMO is down to marginal gains and bloody hard graft. Though other people out there may be more cynical but there again that will be their opinion. I reckon also that the boffins at KASK will be feeling very smug today !

giff77 | 8 years ago
0 likes

As if I would allow personal opinion to cloud my judgement on a case such as this  1 I'm just glad he's ok. If you havnt already take a wee trip over to Cycling Weekly and listen to G talking about his scars in their "talk about their scars" series.

Beatnik69 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The drunk bloke I saw last night could have done with a helmet when he bent over from the waist and bounced the top of his head off a wall. I hear the crack from the other side of the road.  24

giff77 | 8 years ago
0 likes

We really don't know the answer to that. It did look to me that his shoulder took the brunt of the collision. Even then at low speed. I would have been more concerned about the drop into the ditch. At least the pole slowed him down in that instance. He did seem more concerned about the glasses and that they weren't made anymore.

700c replied to giff77 | 8 years ago
0 likes
giff77 wrote:

It did look to me that his shoulder took the brunt of the collision. Even then at low speed. I would have been more concerned about the drop into the ditch

Strange - to me he appears to hit the back of his head as you see it rebound quite violently. It was plenty fast enough to be a concern with that kind of knock. Also bear in mind the footage is slowed down in the first part of that clip. Perhaps one's interpretation is influenced by one's views on helmets!  3

..but anyway he seemed to brush it off - testament to how hard the man is!

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Which, if we were bothered, would be the definition of a troll, no?

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I know what you where trying to do you cheeky little monkey...

...and so do you.  3

0 likes
crikey wrote:

I know what you where trying to do you cheeky little monkey...

...and so do you.  3

Whatever the cheeky monkey wrote it certainly appears to have the other animals rattling their cages !

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just shows people will come up with every excuse under the sun to try and justify their view is correct.............  24

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

...and if we look at it objectively, for a change, he wasn't doing 30 mph. He had already slowed for the corner, then braked after getting clattered, then run over a garden chair, then hit a glancing blow on the pole.

In this instance the helmet did it's job; it protected him from the relatively low speed impact with the pole.

It doesn't imply that helmet use across a wide population should be mandatory, it demonstrates that if you are going to get side swiped by an over eager French chap while attempting to get around a corner in a big bike race, it would be useful to have one on.

0 likes
crikey wrote:

...and if we look at it objectively, for a change, he wasn't doing 30 mph. He had already slowed for the corner, then braked after getting clattered, then run over a garden chair, then hit a glancing blow on the pole.

In this instance the helmet did it's job; it protected him from the relatively low speed impact with the pole.

It doesn't imply that helmet use across a wide population should be mandatory, it demonstrates that if you are going to get side swiped by an over eager French chap while attempting to get around a corner in a big bike race, it would be useful to have one on.

Well ! Did I ever mention mandatory helmets ? No ! And the question of being squashed under lorry was not asked either !

charliepalooza replied to crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

I don't think that can be called a relatively low speed impact! Credit to Thomas for continuing after that - the guy is hard as nails and a legend.

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

To answer the OP, the helmet probably helped, but we'd never know for sure, as I doubt he'll be wanting to repeat the 'off' without one for comparison purposes!

Either way, you won't convince anyone on here who's avidly pro or anti, if the past ten thousand odd posts on the subject are anything to go by!!

Leviathan replied to 700c | 8 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

To answer the OP, the helmet probably helped, but we'd never know for sure, as I doubt he'll be wanting to repeat the 'off' without one for comparison purposes!

Either way, you won't convince anyone on here who's avidly pro or anti, if the past ten thousand odd posts on the subject are anything to go by!!

Probably, yes. This is the difference between anecdotal evidence and empirical evidence. Anecdotal evidence is still evidence given we cannot do the empirical experiments required to prove beyond doubt the efficacy of helmets; unless anyone wants to volunteer have their head dropped onto concrete?
Meanwhile I doubt GT would doubt that wearing one was a better idea than not in this case. Some of the anti-helmet-at-any-cost people do sound rather rabid at times with the level of evidence they demand, when they know that it does not and cannot exist. What better proof than to see GT ONLY lost 35s today.

teaboy replied to Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Some of the anti-helmet-at-any-cost people...

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Wasn't he wearing glasses too? They must of took some impact as they got knocked off. Shame they don't make them anymore, obviously saved his life.....  22

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

That's the second post you've done on it; are you so desperate to have a 'Ooooh look a helmet is such a great thing' thread?

Pages

Latest Comments