Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replace or Upgrade: CAAD8 Sora 7

Hi All,

I had a quick question that I feel needs answering before I commit to my cycling future... I recently bought a CAAD8 Sora as my first "proper" road bike and love it, i've made it fit me well (although a 10mm longer stem would do the trick) and it's comfortable, but it doesnt feel as quick as other bikes that i've ridden.

So I'm faced with a choice.

Should I upgrade my current CAAD8 with new wheels, maybe a shiny new groupset, or upgrade my entire bike? The main reason behind upgrading the entire bike would be to get disc brakes. I'm not a light fella (95 kg) but am not unfit and consider my "engine" to be reasonable although naturally with room for improvement.

My biggest concern, being heavy, is wet-weather control and that is the motivation behind looking into a disc-equipped bike. The move to discs on my MTB revolutionised the way that I ride it.

I've upgraded the tyres on my bike already (gatorskins) and that gave a fair improvement but my couple of wet rides have been nothing short of terrifying, living in the chiltern hills, descents are scary when wet.

Any input recommended, any suggestions also welcome!

Thanks all,

Jack

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Speedymike99 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hello Jack,

I own both a CAAD 8 Tiagra (2013) and aTarmac SL4 Ultegra (2014)
Only upgrade on the CAAD 8 - Contin GP 4000S II 25mm / Mavic Aksium wheels.
No significant difference in speed at all (quantified avge speed / route times) despite weight difference (8.6 vs 7.9km) including hillier routes - it's really all in the legs.

Ultegra smoother shifting ( no real functional difference though)
CAAD 8 has Cannondale C4 brakes - not as grippy as the Axis II on the Specialized in the dry

Can't speak from experience on wet weather braking though as try to keep off the road in wet.

Food for thought

Cheers
Mike

BikeBud | 8 years ago
0 likes

I use Conti GP4000s (25mm) on my "race" wheels (Shimano Ultegra 6700 - less than 1.6kg, bought for £220 - 6800 will deal with 11 speed). Great setup - stiff, light wheels and great tyres. RS81 24's will probably be even better.

Anthony.C | 8 years ago
0 likes

New tyres should be the first thing you get as has been said, Conti GP 4000 S would be a good start, 4 seasons are slower.

jackhannaford | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks BikeBud, Cyclesteffer and James for the reply!

Factoring in that an open uni degree takes me out of the saddle for chunks of the winter, I think that I'll stick with the CAAD and get some new wheels for it, probalby the Shimano RS80 C24's or similar for climbing ability and some new rubber (conti 4 seasons or GP's, probably 4 seasons for puncture reistance).

Cyclesteffer - definatley going to get some new rimtape, probably with more padding as I get numb hands!

Thanks all for the input, it's been really helpful

Jack

BikeBud | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a CAAD8 (2013 Tiagra), and recently decided that next year I'll upgrade the groupset and wheels instead of getting a new bike.

The CAAD8 frameset is really good. If I buy a new bike it will come with average wheels. Instead I could spend £1500 on some great deep carbon wheels (for time trials & road races) and 105 11 speed.

As well as upgrading brake pads, decent tyres will make a massive difference. I use 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC most of the time - they really improved my confidence on the bike. They're also very light, reducing the rotational weight of the wheels.

A lot of love for the CAAD8 here!

Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hiya!

I had pretty much exactly the same dilemma, I have several bikes, the Caad 8 was my first and I loved riding it loads. I did not want to sell it as the ride is too good. I wanted to spend just a little to make it better! I also weigh 93 Kilos.

Mine is a Caad 8 Sora 2010, 9 speed.

I had done 5,500 miles on it and some of the components were looking a bit used. I did the following, and gave it a new lease of life.

1) New Shimano 105 5800 brake callipers - £18 each off Chain Reaction - works BRILLIANT - a MUST upgrade if you hate your braking- this will sort it!
2) Shimano 105 5700 chainset (10 speed chainset on 9 speed works perfectly) £73
3) Ultegra Bottom bracket to go with the above. £11.99
4) Campagnolo Khamsin CX wheelset - £100 in Halfords, I think I paid a bit less with british cycling discount. 1750 grams for the price is pretty good.
5) New Cinelli Bartape - £8
6) All new gear and brake cables - Jagwire, from wiggle £18
7) Planet X - superlight saddle £20
8) some new jockey wheels, £8
9) Vredestein Senso Tyres- really fast, and great reviews - £42 for two from Ribble. 700 x 25.

Weight of the bike is now 8.4 Kilos and it rides and stops like a dream.

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

£1500 gets you a very nice Canyon or Rose bike... it'd also get you a Disc Equipped Giant Defy, which probably would be all you'd need.

The CAAD8 SORA is a great crit frame, components are only just entry level - it'd make a perfect winterbike (put some 25/28mm tyres on and work on lower pressure to increase grip.

I'd look very seriously at the god knows how many years it's won bike of the year Giant DEFY Advanced 2 @ £1399 (Ultegra, disc brakes, carbon, decent finishing kit).
You can probably knock another £100 or get a bike fit thrown in for buying local  1

jackhannaford replied to peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the comments, peted76, the giant defy looks like a nice bike! I hear it's a bit more relaxed and the vain side of me doesn't like the sound of that but it may well suit me to the ground!

I got the CAAD knowing I'd want to upgrade it at some point, but I hadn't factored in the disc brake bonus at that point (having not attempted to brake in the wet on rim brakes before..)

I think I'll wait winter out before I decide what I'll get - it seems like the best option to me - I don't want to buy something fancy and wreck it over winter! Whether that be new bike or parts..

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

"it doesnt feel as quick as other bikes that i've ridden."

Really? Sounds a bit like purchase justification to me.

And why upgrade a perfectly good almost-new groupset?

Disc brakes won't transform a nervous descender into Steve Peat and I wouldn't call Gatorskins an upgrade from anything. I'd buy some decent tyres first.

jackhannaford replied to Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

"it doesnt feel as quick as other bikes that i've ridden."

Really? Sounds a bit like purchase justification to me.

And why upgrade a perfectly good almost-new groupset?

Probably is! I mean that it doesn't feel as though it rides as smoothly or that I get as bigger surge when I push it hard as I have on some of my friends bikes, although it is likely down to the wheel/tyre combo primarily.

Groupset; I find Sora a bit clunky but it is perfectly functional. I wouldn't upgrade immediately, most likely after winter when it's got some nasty cruddy miles and things are starting to wear out a bit. It'd be nice to get a single-make groupset on it rather than a hodge-podge of bits but no better reason than that. I'll upgrade when it wears - although i'll probably upgrade the rear brake to ultegra because i find the tektros horrible.

0 likes

Wow we need a Strava group or something "Chiltern CAADers" (work in progress).

I think I'll stick with the CAAD. A £500 upgrade would probably go further than a new bike... And I guess I don't smash enough miles out that a racy set of tyres would burn a hole in my pocket too often.

Thanks for the tips guys, it's really helpful - I'm very grateful! Might even try tubeless sometimes...

kookenhaken | 8 years ago
0 likes

another one for the 'own a CAAD8, living in the Chilterns' club here.

Mine is a 105, upgraded the wheels and brakes/pads (6700/ss). Whilst I already loved the bike, felt comfortable and fast enough, I love it even more now. Can't see myself getting another bike any time soon. It's about as good as I need it to be. If I was to get another one I'd look at upgrading myself first.

As said above, Gatorskins aren't great in the wet. 25mm GP4seasons are.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Gatorskins are not exactly the finest tyres in the world; good at not getting punctured, but not really a great tyre.

Get some race tyres*, accept that they will wear out quickly, and you should feel the difference.

* Which race tyres is a whole new question, but Michelin pro 4s, Spesh Turbos, Schwalbe Ultremos etc., should get you in the right bit of the store.

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

A side issue perhaps but I find my otherwise excellent gatorskins to be a nightmare in wet conditions... And I have disc brakes.

prinzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

I also have a caad 8 which has been upgraded to an ultegra groupset , a carbon seatpost a pair of Keswick wheels with Michelin pro4 tyres and latex tubes for better rolling resistance and my preferred selle italia saddle - lush for riding around snowdonia

P3t3 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've got a CAAD8 and ride in the chilterns. I love the bike. Mine was the 105 version and to be honest the tektro brakes and pads that came with it are incredibly good.

I run a fancy set of wheels in the summer (easton 90SLX) and they do make the bike feel a bit more sprightly but they are not as stiff as the originals.

However if I was to buy again for the chilterns I wouldn't be as bothered about discs but I would get something that can take a load more tyre volume for going down the little lanes with poor surfaces. A nice set of supple 30-35 mm tyres would probably be about right. A lot of what I do at the moment is a quite frankly a bit savage on the bike and with the fancy wheels I tend to have to ease off because i care about them, somthing which is not a problem on the original wheels.

Ultimately - girind the CAAD down to aluminium paste before bothering to buy another!

jackhannaford replied to P3t3 | 8 years ago
0 likes
P3t3 wrote:

I've got a CAAD8 and ride in the chilterns. I love the bike. Mine was the 105 version and to be honest the tektro brakes and pads that came with it are incredibly good.

I run a fancy set of wheels in the summer (easton 90SLX) and they do make the bike feel a bit more sprightly but they are not as stiff as the originals.

Cheers P3t3 (Pete?), i have to say I found the Tektro brakes appalling compared to what im used to, even with swiss-stop pads, and the ultegra caliper/pads on the front are a world away to my tastes (maybe it's personal preference, but the tektro brakes just flexed after a point rather than squeezing harder). I want to get some new wheels, though, and probably move up to some 25mm tyres.

Barbarus wrote:

A side issue perhaps but I find my otherwise excellent gatorskins to be a nightmare in wet conditions... And I have disc brakes.

Thanks for the tip, I found the standard schwalbe luganos to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Maybe the gatorskins are a touch more useful. I'll look into getting something different for the winter to try it out.

I think I am likely to stick with the CAAD and just do what I can to make it so that I feel confident in it during the wet months as by all accounts it's a very able frame. I guess in the wet it isnt a numerical advantage that I'm after, just more confidence inspiring and I thought that discs might provide that.

Cheers for all of the input guys, any more advice welcome!

0 likes

Thank you both for your advice! Yes, SwissStops are great - I'm running them on the back at the moment because I am getting by with the Ultegra pads that came with the brake, but I'll use the SS compound when I wear those out.

I agree with the frame. Maybe I should just make a point of doing some v wet rides this winter and give the bike a chance (maybe I'll try with some 25mm tyres, i.e. gravel kings).

Wheels and groupset are my upgrade targets at the moment, but I don't want to upgrade either if a shift to disc soon will make them obsolete!

JamesE279 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a CAAD8-sora myself, and a not inconsiderable BMI...

Fitted with slightly better wheels, and or an upgraded groupset, you'll have a lovely speed machine. I upgraded wheels and levers. The original callipers and chainset on mine work fine for it's usual commuting role.

The braking surface on some wheels are better than others. And I find that my braking performance, wet or dry, improves with regular cleaning of the pads and rims. I choose to avoid the worst weather, when I can, and just take it easy when I can't.

But there's only so far you can go tweaking calliper brakes, maybe discs are the most sensible long term option for your hilly wet rides.

Happy shopping,
J

jackhannaford replied to JamesE279 | 8 years ago
0 likes
JamesE279 wrote:

Fitted with slightly better wheels, and or an upgraded groupset, you'll have a lovely speed machine. I upgraded wheels and levers. The original callipers and chainset on mine work fine for it's usual commuting role.

P.s.p.s. which wheels did you go for?

JamesE279 replied to jackhannaford | 8 years ago
0 likes
jackhannaford wrote:
JamesE279 wrote:

P.s.p.s. which wheels did you go for?

I went for a Shimano R500 on the rear for commuting duty, as I need the extra spokes to cope with my weight and the crappy potholes. I have a Shimano RS21 on the front, and another RS21 I can throw on the back if I'm out for a 'nice' ride.

They roll well, have stayed true over the last ~1500 miles, and the braking surface is ok. I haven't ridden a disc road bike though.

The RS21 rear wheel will need a spacer adding if your Sora is 9-speed.

They're both cheap options, RS 21 wheelset ~£120, but a decent step better than the original Maddux wheels.

Mavic Aksium wheels are a similar upgrade option, maybe £140.

If you really want to speed things up, then you may have to ask other folk about aero wheels.

J

pants | 8 years ago
0 likes

a CAAD8 is as good enough frame most people will ever realistically need, it just depends how much money you have or how much bling you want really. Swiss stops are so good that they make regular pads seems like they don't work at all if you go back.

jackhannaford replied to pants | 8 years ago
0 likes

p.s. budget wise is probably 1/1.5k top whack, but I'd try to grab a steal in one of the many sales..

I guess that might leave me with a bike still wanting upgrades?

The more I think about that the more I edge towards keeping the CAAD8 and trying to make the brakes as wet-friendly as possible.

0 likes

Note - I have got an ultegra front brake on the bike to replace the shocking tektro brakes that came with it, and it's made a world of dry-weather difference and swissstop pads. The SwissStop pads are so much better than standards in the wet, but the ultegra brake yet to be trialled and even the SS pads are lacking what i'd like the braking to offer.

Latest Comments