Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Arm ache while descending on drops

When I descend on the drops a get a real pain in my tricep just above my elbow. Does anyone know what could be causing it or any exercises to do

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

From a completely ignorant perspective I'd say your saddle is too high and too far forwards.

Look at your position again.

monty dog | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lessen the death grip on the bars and relax. Wear mitts and get some grippier bar tape if worried about keeping control.

pants | 8 years ago
0 likes

Do press ups and triceps dips.

levermonkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Everything peted76 has said but I have a question ...

When you are descending in the drops are you gripping your bars too tightly?

The reason I ask this is because if you grip the bars too tightly you can cause your arms and shoulders to 'lock'. Depending on how your front end is set up this can cause joint, tendon & muscle pain and cramps.

So,
1) Check your bike fit.
2) Work on your core.
3) Practice your descending.
4) Get used to and comfortable to being in the drops. A lot of problems are caused by the very fact that we seldom get down into them. We spend so much time riding on the hoods that we forget about them.

Best of luck.

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Caused by too much weight on your arms. You can change your set up to fix.

Simple 'core' excersises is the key to this I believe. Strengthen your core so not all the weight is on your arms (e.g. some is taken by your 'core')
Test whether you can sit in your 'drops position' and then take both hands off the bars... does your core support you?

I get it also on long decents, but that's probably more becuae I'm not used to them.

Latest Comments