Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

10spd upgrade to 11spd

Hi,

Apologies in advance for the noob question...

I'm about the push the button on a BTWIN 540 as a replacement for my flat-bar commuter. It comes with last years 10 speed 105 groupset but i'm wondering if I could upgrade this to 105 5800, as I'll be upgrading the chainset anyway. Is it possible to do this and if so which parts would I need to replace? Cassette is the obvious one but do I need new derailleur(s) and shifters, also?

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

The 5700 10s is a really good groupset. Why you would want to spend all that good money just to have an extra gear . The actual gain will be negligible!

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Tbh I was on 9 speed tiagra before moving to 11 SPD 105...there is no difference in speed between the two and not really much difference in terms of shift quality.
I would not have upgraded if it wasn't for crash damage.
If I was in your position, I'd stick with the older 105, its still perfectly decent stuff.

Ratfink | 8 years ago
0 likes

Oh sorry i thought you were after another flat bar,Although i only had the briefest of looks the 540 looks very nice.

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

If budget is a main consideration and you say that you are saving for a second 'Sunday Best' bike, and that this bike is a commuter.... Well if it was my money I'd seriously be asking what does 11 speed give me that 10 speed doesn't?

To stay off topic.

Will you be making use of the cycle to work scheme to save tax on your new commuter bike?

si.brown replied to Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

You are, of course, correct! As with all things I want the latest and greatest, but I'm sure 10spd will be absolutely fine for everyday commuting.

And yes I'll be using the cycle to work scheme, which gets the price down to about £360.

mike the bike replied to Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes
Mungecrundle wrote:

.... Well if it was my money I'd seriously be asking what does 11 speed give me that 10 speed doesn't? ....

Well it's obvious isn't it. The old one goes up to 10, but the new one can be turned up to 11. That's all the way to 11, not just 10. I'm afraid 10 doesn't cut it any more, not now that 11 has arrived.
Who, in their right mind, would be satisfied with only 10, knowing all the time that some people have achieved 11, which is at least one better. That's one better in every way, of course. It's called mathematics and it's simple, if you concentrate.

Ratfink | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was in a decathlon on Fri,The 540 flat bar has tiagra 10 speed not 105.
If you are going to start swapping bits would it not be more economic to buy the 520 which as far as i can see is the same frame.The price difference would cover shifters/cassette/chain plus of course whatever you can get for what you take off the bike.
Personally i wouldn't bother with 11 spd for commuting.

si.brown replied to Ratfink | 8 years ago
0 likes
Ratfink wrote:

I was in a decathlon on Fri,The 540 flat bar has tiagra 10 speed not 105.
If you are going to start swapping bits would it not be more economic to buy the 520 which as far as i can see is the same frame.The price difference would cover shifters/cassette/chain plus of course whatever you can get for what you take off the bike.
Personally i wouldn't bother with 11 spd for commuting.

The drop bar version comes with 105 shifters and mechs...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-id_8331275.html

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

I stand corrected. That's a bit of a change from past tech where pretty much any old mech would work!

fukawitribe replied to vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes
vonhelmet wrote:

I stand corrected. That's a bit of a change from past tech where pretty much any old mech would work!

Yep, bit of a pity - apparently SRAM will pick and mix a bit, perhaps not ideally but at least functional.

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

You shouldn't need derailleurs, I don't think, unless there is something fundamentally different between 11 speed derailleurs and all others.

fukawitribe replied to vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes
vonhelmet wrote:

You shouldn't need derailleurs, I don't think, unless there is something fundamentally different between 11 speed derailleurs and all others.

Alas I think there might be differences..

Forget about using Dura-Ace 7900 derailleurs with 11-speed levers. The derailleur’s shift-activation ratio is different for Shimano 11-speed rear derailleurs than it is for Shimano 10-speed rear derailleurs. Furthermore, Shimano 10-speed mountain and road rear derailleurs have different actuation ratios from each other, and the same goes for Shimano 11-speed mountain and road rear derailleurs. Prior to road 11-speed and mountain 10-speed, things were simpler; Shimano road rear derailleurs up through 10-speed and mountain-bike rear derailleurs through 9-speed all have the same activation ratio.

And your intuition is correct that a Shimano 11-speed shifter will not work well with a 10-speed front derailleur because the 11-speed shifter is designed to actuate the longer lever arm of Shimano 11-speed front derailleurs

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech...

Sounds like that might well apply to 105 unfortunately.

bikebot replied to vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes
vonhelmet wrote:

The cable pull is longer on the 11 speed 105, so the compatibility that existed between 9/10 speed derailleurs unfortunately isn't true for 10/11 speed. It's also longer on the new 10 speed Tiagra due later this year, so you won't be able to mix shifters and derailleurs from that with old 10 speed.

The benefit is that shifting is now slightly more accurate and cable stretch leads to smaller alignment problems.

vonhelmet replied to bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes
bikebot wrote:

It's also longer on the new 10 speed Tiagra due later this year, so you won't be able to mix shifters and derailleurs from that with old 10 speed.

That so? That's a bit crap. I've got Tiagra 4600 on one bike and I'm happy enough with it, so was relieved to see they were sticking with 10 speed for the next revision as I figured it would mean a continuing supply of spares...

bikebot replied to vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes
vonhelmet wrote:
bikebot wrote:

It's also longer on the new 10 speed Tiagra due later this year, so you won't be able to mix shifters and derailleurs from that with old 10 speed.

That so? That's a bit crap. I've got Tiagra 4600 on one bike and I'm happy enough with it, so was relieved to see they were sticking with 10 speed for the next revision as I figured it would mean a continuing supply of spares...

All the parts taking the brunt of wear and tear, cranks, cassette and chain should be compatible. It's just the derailleurs and shifters that have to be matched.

What might be interesting for the future, is whether the new Tiagra has derailleurs that are compatible with 11 speed 105, as with 9/10 speed today. I should take a look at the Shimano docs and do a bit of maths.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

To upgrade to 11 speed, you'd need shifters, cassette, both derailleurs and chain as a minimum.
It may be possible to upgrade to 11 speed but only if the freewheel is the right size/11 speed compatible.
However it seems kind of pointless to buy a new bike, then upgrade immediately. Why not just buy right first time round?

si.brown replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your help. Normally I would agree with you but I'm on a limited budget (currently also saving for a 'sunday best') and need specific features, such as proper mudguard and rack mounts.

I'm happy with the current spec but was just curious about how easy the upgrade would be.

If anyone can suggest an alternative with an alloy frame, aksium wheelset (or similar), 105/rival gruppo and proper mounts for circa £600 I'm all ears!  1

Latest Comments