Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BTwin Triban 500SE or Cannondale Synapse Claris

Folks - after many years of having a Raleigh Pioneer Hybrid (on which I did my first Dunwich Dynamo), I now wish to also get a road bike!

I have looked at the above two bikes -I am sure there are many more - but am in a dilemma - I want something that is relatively comfortable to ride given my long association with my hybrid but do I spend approx. £300 on the BTwin or approx. double on the Cannondale - I do have the option of purchasing through Cyclescheme or buying outright.
My head says don't spend much and get something like the BTwin, whereas my heart says get something like the Cannondale! I have read many good things about the BTwin but am a little wary about its durability.
One other important factor to mention is that I am a heavy rider (approx. 90kg!) but still reasonably fit, so also wonder should I be going for 23c or 25c tyres?

Advice appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Must be Mad | 8 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

BTwin Triban 500SE or Cannondale Synapse Claris

Caad8 Claris.

The Aluminum synapse is a nice bike, but I don't think its as good as the Carbon version. I found the (Cannondale) Caad 8 so much more engaging and fun to ride, and they are pretty much same price and spec as the Synapse's.

doobs12 | 8 years ago
0 likes

41 Update - after many weeks of searching I got a Felt Z75 Disc - got cracking deal and got 18 months interest free credit - slowly getting the bug - changing pedals, buying bits n pieces etc - early days but enjoying it - I am starting to get a bit faster on my commute, but still find others on road bikes whizzing by!
Still getting used to different riding position after many years on upright hybrid, so trying to make sure set up is as good as can be

gmac101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have 2011 Allez and I've enjoyed it but I've struggled with fitting mudguards (if that's important to you) The Allez has eyelets on the rear dropouts but no clearance with the 25mm tyres fitted and no eyelets on the forks.
Upgrades - best value was after about a year I replaced the cables and brake pads, that made a huge difference to the response of the brakes and dérailleurs.
The base level shimano equipment has been great, I thought I'd end up upgrading it but can't really justify it!

Spiny | 8 years ago
0 likes

fwiw... I've had a 2008 Allez since new with the following:

• One of the original (Tiagra 9sp) shifters gave up last year so I replaced both with current gen Sora, also 9sp as Tiagra has moved on to 10sp these days.
  • A couple sets of tyres
  • I think I'll need new wheels soon (hopefully post this winter)
  • Rear cassette replaced.
  • Cables & pads a couple of times.
  • Replaced the saddle on personal preference. A Spoon btw

So seems pretty well built to me.

Have a look at the geometry, I think the Synapse will be a bit less racy than the Allez, if that's what you want.

Started at 90kg, down to 82 now  1

doobs12 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - I have also looked at a Specialized Allez - sill a bit undecided but am a little concerned that if I get the 500 SE and then if I need to add better wheels, tyres etc would I be better off going for something more like the Synapse or Allez which presumably has better components? Also briefly looked at Boardman Road Sport - bit of a minefield!

mikebelluk | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm same weight as you and bought the 500se. Upgrading the wheels to Mavic Aksiums and Schwalbe Durano Plus 25's and a decent Bontrager saddle made a big difference, and I think it's a great bike.
Working in engineering I would say it's very well made, the only weak point being the front derailleur, which is a bit fussy to trim.

Latest Comments