Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

help..shimano brake lever damage

I am currently trying to make ends meet by buying and selling bikes on ebay (advertising them better, doing good write ups and photos etc). I was riding my latest on the turbo this morning and tried to shift into the big chainring for the decent off the col du galibier (i-magic session). The left lever went about half way, there was a crack and it went loose...shifts down fine but wont shift up. The cable is fine so im assuming its some internals that have given up the ghost. Any tips on what to do, how to get it fixed and what sort of cost I should expect? Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

This from the horse's mouth (well, Albert at Madison's mouth anyway)

It’s either the return spring or the internals. Internals can go sometimes. It’s rare but with so many moving parts these things happen. We stock spares and new internals should drop straight in. As with all Shimano spares they’re not cheap…

To give you some idea replacement Dura-Ace 7800 STI internals retail for £117.44srp (that’s per side). Ultegra 6600 come in @ £88.08srp

A replacement spring would be preferable @ £0.97srp!!!

What series and model is the shifter?

Jon Burrage replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

Really appreciate your help dave, thanks.
The details on the exact shifter are

SHIMANO 105 FLIGHTDECK ST5510 (is on the hood moulding)

Hopefully its a spring!!!

dave atkinson replied to Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

There were a few iffy 105 shifters that snuck through last year (the problem has since been resolved). If he removes the problem STI and sends it back via his LBS to Madison warranty Milton Keynes we’ll replace it free-of-charge under warranty. The shop will need to ring through to customer care first for a returns number first though.

so it's not your beefy hands that are at fault, it seems

0 likes

ideal! Cheers, I didnt think I was strong enough to actually break it myself, Im only small! Do you have the contact details then? I will remove it and send it to them once I have spoken to them.

dave atkinson replied to Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

via your local bike shop; they need to arrange the warranty return.

0 likes

Ok then, the bike is about 12 months old. As I am not the first owner does that put a stop to this?

Tony Farrelly replied to Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

Nope, you shouldn't have a problem. Just take the lever in to your local bike shop and tell them it's got a known fault and that you've spoken to Albert at Madison and he's told you to send it back to the warranty department for a free of charge replacement. that should be enough for them.

The lever is covered because there was a manufacturing fault with it.

Jon Burrage replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

If you guys hadnt known who to talk to then I and probably others would be £100+ worse off. Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help especially as Im really watching the pennies at the moment.

Latest Comments