Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Scott Solace Advice

I'm stuck in a quandary and thought I'd ask in this forum for some advice. I currently have a Cannondale Synapse 105 disc, which was my new bike getting back into cycling. I promised myself an upgrade at the end of this year but have seen the great deal on Scott Solace 10 2014's on the web. As low as £2000k!!! This appears to be an amazing deal for the spec and was the budget I was looking at although I was hoping to upgrade to something like a Synapse Ultegra Disc Carbon (assuming a good deal in Xmas sales). But the Scott is seducing me with the super light weight 7kgs and the Dura Ace groupset plus it has the compliant ride I want (no race bikes for me, I need it to be comfortable) although one downside is no disc brakes which I do like on my current bike. There are few reviews on the web, and the ones I've seen vary from average to excellent ratings. I can't find anywhere local to test ride and struggling to find somewhere that has any in the showroom.

Any owners out there with feedback on their bikes or any other advice welcome.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Robj72 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Gary

Thanks for the response. I was on a fortnight holiday when you responded and spent most of it debating with myself the pros and cons of this bike. You advice is very reassuring and I'm still considering and it has been made harder by all the discounts now on offer particularly on the Defy and Synapse. The biggest hurdle for me is the lack of disc brakes as I'm so used to them now and felt confident descending Box Hill at the Ride 100 at the weekend.

I know I'm lucky to have the choice of so many nice bikes but it is soooo hard to choose. Anyway, I've booked some test rides over the next couple of weeks......

Rob

Gary100 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Rob, one more quick point that I meant to refer to from your post;
I have never had a bike with disc brakes & deliberately wanted to avoid them due to the extra hassle, cost of maintenance etc. I've just returned from a 35 mile ride where I got caught in the rain & the brakes work fine. Of course they won't be as good as discs but as I've never had them I'm not going to miss them.
Excuse the grammar mistakes in my earlier post, I typed too hastily! Cheers

Gary100 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Rob,
I hadn't cycled for over 30 years until I bought a Scott Solace 10, 2014 model that you're looking at. I did loads of research & wanted a bike that would be comfortable for hours on end & yet lightweight & have an excellent groupset so I didn't feel compelled from the start to upgrade bits.
I bought my hike back in early May from a co called Cycle Division in South Derbyshire for £1,999 & have ridden nearly 1,100 miles since. The bike is so comfortable & responsive that if I went out & bought another bike now I would buy exactly the same model again. The fact that it's "last year's model" just means a colour difference, no other difference to this years model!
It has Dura Ace components throughout except for the chain, cassette & rear brake which are Ultegra. That was one thing that frustrated me with a lot of other brands, when you look closely they had cheaper chain sets & or other components.
I live in Wiltshire & made the trip to Cycle Divison who let me take out a demo model they have for a ride. I would strongly suggest you go & have a look at them.
If you speak or visit them tell you that Gary from Swindon recommended them. I was chuffed with their service & told them so at the time.
Good luck & if you buy a Solace 10 you won't regret it!
Cheers, Gary

Latest Comments