Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dolan advert

Have you seen the current Dolan advert in the mags?

Lists Dolan frame palmares... Olympic golds, World titles - yes I've worked those ones out.

Grand Tour and Classics victories? Is Cav riding a rebadged Dolan, or is this a reference to Boardman's exploits (when Dolans were Cougars)? I know Dave Millar rode a Dolan before siging for Saunier Duval - did he ride a rebadged Dolan?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Christ, I didn't notice that happening at all...I liked the TCR Advanced too.

radar | 15 years ago
0 likes

But High Road are no longer riding Giant bikes - big sponsorship deal with Scott, hence the change of kit from nice tasteful blue to tacky yellow (very similar to the saunier duval strip but with added CSC 6 pack)

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

I'm pretty confident Cav's road bike is a Giant TCR Advanced SL, I was at the launch of the Giant 2009 road bikes last year and they were making a lot of how Cav was riding this exact frame and how he was part of the development process...

Mr Sock replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

High Road signed up with Scott for this season… so you'd expect him to be on one of them… as to the re-badged bikes, it would be more likely to be something like a TT bike, and/or a team who's bikes come from a relatively small manufacturer or a manufacturer that is in the process of producing a new bike but hasn't got there yet and needs a stop-gap.

But to be controversial you could argue that Dolan's frames look like Planet X frames look like Pearson frames which look (no doubt) like frames from many other manufacturers across the world and that when he said there were five Dolan's in the race he meant five bikes that came out of more or less the same mould in Taiwan… but don't necessarily all have the same name

radar | 15 years ago
0 likes

Whilst watching the Tour of California last night (won by Mr Cavendish) there was an interesting discussion about handbuilt frames. Someone asked the question about rebadged frames - the answer from the commentators was"used to be quite common but nowadays probably almost certainly doesn't happen at all". A few minutes later one Tery Dolan replied that there were in fact 5 Dolan frames in the Tour of California peleton.

So the question is who?

Certainly not any of the teams riding specialized or cervelos - frames too distinctive. Same can possibly be said for the Giants and Ridleys.

Most likely nationals riding them - GB and Irish riders. Possibly some of the Aus and NZ riders too?

If you look at the mags with the bikes of the stars type features - who's bikes don't get shown. High Road has been showing off their new TT bikes but anyone seen their road bikes? Cav's bike looked quite like a Dolan Hercules or am I mistaken?

Blackhound | 15 years ago
0 likes

Aren't a lot of the Dedeccai frames all the same? Built in Italy, imported to UK and rebadged / painted by Dolan, Ribble etal. Not certain about this but would explain the similarity...

Anyway, I rode a Cougar and won eff all, or a stage of the Giro on my Principia. Or even a mtb race on my Epic either come to think of it. They must have better legs than me!

Mr Sock | 15 years ago
0 likes

I love talking about re-badged pro's bikes.

Re: the Dolan ad maybe they are including those Cougars… or taking things sideways, Cadel Evans was supposed to have ridden a re-badged Planet X TT bike, when he was supposedly riding a Ridley… and some people have commented on the supposed similarities between some Planet Xs and some Dolans, oh and some Pearsons… maybe they're getting the score up by including them?  13  13

Latest Comments