Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Ankle Issue

OK, this may be difficult to answer, but looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

After a not unusually longish (140km) ride, I started having a pain around my ankle bone, on the left outer.

This only started a couple of hours after the ride, otherwise all was fine. It was particularly bad in certain shoes, with a similar high heel rise matching my road shoes. So bad I couldn't walk properly.

Saw the doctor, he prescribed ligament damage around the ankle. I was due to see the physio the day after, and she thought it was more likely to be a tightening of the band running down my left leg, which runs under the ankle, and this was causing the discomfort.

Now the funny thing is, if I don't have shoes on, or wear a different type, I get no pain at all, not to touch, walking, cycling in normal shoes or even running. Change to the different shoes, and instant pain with movement, or touching. The painful ones all have a higher heel rise, and slightly stiffer soles (ala my bike shoes)

The answer of course is don't wear those shoes...but I'm wondering if the stiffness of the road shoes, along with the higher heel rise is the possible cause, and if anyone else has had anything similar.

It's kept me off the bike now for nearly 3 weeks, so I'm keen to get it sorted as soon as possible.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like your peronial tendons are strained/injured. Try using standard pedals for a few weeks, lessen mileage for a while .Seek a bike fit or podiatrist to check your gait.

I have been told I might need surgery on my peronial tendons caused by a fall I had. Next week I get news whether or not.

Latest Comments