Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet X Viner Mitus aka Chinese FM 066

So I finally bought my first carbon frame, couldn't justify £2800 on a Spesh Tarmac, nearly went with a Cannondale Evo, but chose the Planet X as the geometry suited as did the price.

Well it's obviously a Chinese open mould FM 066 as can be seen from the stickers on the steerer. At least it's covered in QC passed stickers lol!

Pleased to find the BB threads are clean as are the races in the head tube, quality does look good. Extra bonus: my 56cm frame weighs 891g, they quoted 900g for a 52cm.

Just have to build it up now. Wife is away on holiday so it's workshop stand in front of the telly & TdF prologue + beer for me.  4

Pics to follow.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

Really nice looking frame that!

Ungulate | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yay! Cut the crown race with new hacksaw blade, all is fine, headset glides smoothly. Now to measure the steerer 5 times, and another, before cutting that, wish me luck

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

@ungulate,
What size is that frame...880g is incredible for what doesn't look like a particularly tiny frame. Also did you actually weigh it yourself or is it just from info on t'interweb

Ungulate replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was expecting a kilo in weight, put it on the scales, no bottle cage bolts but it had the guide wires for internal cabling: 880g for a 56cm frame. I've half built it up now, otherwise would take a pic, looks like 6.5kg with Super Record and Reynolds carbon tubular wheels, Veloflex carbon tubs

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

If it's any consolation I built up a Planet X RT 58 frameset recently and I've put 2000 hard miles into it so far. It probably came from the same factory as your Viner. The RT58 is well finished, it looks superb and rides like a dream and I am sure your Viner will perform likewise. There was a similar situation regarding the race on my forks but I think that this is how it should be and providing that the race is seated level/square - I carefully used a wooden drift to seat mine - you will find that the forks and head tube will fit perfectly once everything is assembled. It is absolutely important that you use a torque wrench when building up a carbon fibre frameset, but no doubt you will be aware of this .

Ungulate replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks mate, I'm in no way disappointed with the frame, I knew what I was buying into and it looks like good value for money, yeah the torque wrench and carbon assembly paste are by my side, if I'd been quicker could have got an RT90 for £100 quid less than the Viner......and it's the same Frame! Face/palm.......

Ungulate | 8 years ago
0 likes

Here's a few shots of the new frame - as you can see from the steerer, definitely a Chinese special - I'm very happy with it. The quality of the finish is far better than some of the atrocities posted on the 'net.

BTW Bare frame weighed 880g, uncut fork 378g. Far less than expected, now to see if it explodes when I sit on it.

tincaman | 8 years ago
0 likes

The race will fit, this is quite normal. It can be pushed down using a piece of plastic waste pipe just bigger than the steerer width. Turn the forks upside down and bang the pipe on the floor
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m286/KJA78/Bike/2011-07-25_16-00-16_1...

Ungulate replied to tincaman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks mate, off to hacksaw the race now!

Ungulate | 8 years ago
0 likes

OK, so the bearing race will just sit on the cut crown race and still turn smoothly I suppose? Anyone out there tried this? Sl apprehensive........

0 likes

I think from what I've read the best option is to either put a slit in the crown race to let it expand slightly or to dremel the inside of the crown race to get it to fit....don't sand away on the carbon unless you want your face to meet the tarmac at speed.

0 likes

Could you please do a mini ride review and how easy it is to build up too, I'm looking g at getting one of these frames (straight from China tho).
Cheers  4

Ungulate replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Will do, so far the only issue is the crown race won't fit over the fork crown - there's a lip of carbon on the bottom of the fork  14

Brakes fit fine, BB threads are fine.........off to the bike shop tomorrow morning,not keen on dremelling away the fork crown, will see what they can do.!

Latest Comments