Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cracked meniscus

Hi guys and girls

I have just cracked my meniscus warming up for squats, need to have keyhole surgery to grind off the cracked bit. Has anyone had a similar injury, recovery times, problems etc?

Cheers in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

BrokenBootneck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Had the op 7 weeks ago doing ten mile rides easily about to up the mileage. Started circuit training and spin again this week but taking it a bit easy. I've lost 15% of my meniscus but the doc reckons that shouldn't bother me too much 30% is the time to worry. It will still be up to two months before it's totally ok. Bloody knees!

elisponge | 8 years ago
0 likes

Do what the doc says, I have had 4 ops two on each knee of varying degrees. When I was playing pro rugby I was back playing again 4 weeks after the op but a more recent one(me being a bit older) took a bit longer nearly 3 months for full fitness. That's down to how much they cut out though.

BrokenBootneck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the feedback. The surgeon used the term cracked, but described the same process about keyhole etc. Hopefully I will be sorted by the end of the year and back out on the bike. I can use my spin bike gently at the moment, so hopefully its not too bad!

Nick0 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Presuming you mean you've torn it, I tore the articulate cartilage in my left knee and had it 'trimmed' via keyhole surgery. I was on crutches for a couple of weeks, and started back on the bike after about four weeks. If you are treated by the NHS, do what the physio tells you to do, and if you are referred to group physio, then go, it may be with a group of senior citizens, but you must do all the exercises they give you. I was properly mobile after six months and fully recovered after a year. I average about 120 miles a week commuting and play footie couple of times a month. Hope this helps, all the best, nicko

sanderville | 8 years ago
0 likes

The short answer is yes, and you don't want to know. Sorry about that. Think positive.

wellcoordinated | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bad luck old man!

Latest Comments