Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

To vest, or not to vest

I'm aware of the science that wearing a mesh vest baselayer is meant to keep you cooler by wicking sweat away, but I'm not convinced I don't feel hotter. I usually wear a Craft mesh vest under a jersey.

So I'm curious, what is the consensus here? Do you wear a baselayer vest during hot weather, or just a jersey?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes

I prefer au natural. Theres something about mesh vest base-layers that just look uncool and grandadesque. I like to unzip my top and show off my sweaty, manly chest.

Saint Mikie 41 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yep base layer for me, I have two Sportful mesh ones and swear by them.

dunnoh | 8 years ago
0 likes

I used to swear by the craft mesh baselayers. Recently I had bought me one made by Rapha. Its a cracking bit of kit and wicks beautifully.

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yep, had similar questions in my head recently about baselayers... however for me last night proved that a 'string vest' base should be worn in hot weather, seems to get the sweat off and away quicker.

I am not however daring to try anything other than a string vest and would welcome experience on lightweight merino base layers in this weather...

Leodis | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've just started this week and I feel a fair bit cooler than I did with a wet top on

Marauder | 8 years ago
0 likes

I always wear a base layer too.

I seem to get more wear out of my jerseys as it wicks the sweat away so I won't have a bad sweaty smell even when it has been washed.

Agreed it might not make a difference but it seems to be doing the trick for me.

Chuck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just a jersey for me. Maybe a vest is one of those try-it-and-you-won't-go-back things but at the moment a base layer in summer seems like a solution to a problem I don't have.

antigee | 8 years ago
0 likes

live in a cooler part of Aus' only 12 degrees today  2

but 30 degree plus days are the norm in summer with some days 40ish and high 20's common in spring and autumn

Craft mesh vest, an excellent bit of kit I'd replace immediately

robert.brady | 8 years ago
0 likes

I always wear a vest, not because of the wicking effect, but because I find bibs more comfortable with something underneath them. That said, I very quickly forget if I'm not wearing one.

fenix | 8 years ago
0 likes

Always with a vest. String type if it's hot.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I always wear one just out of habit I think....also we have to wear one on the track and therefore it makes sense to train in the same kit.
I don't think it makes me any hotter but definitely reduces sweat build up.
Sportful mesh string vest thing btw

Latest Comments