Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

when / do you change your skewers (QR etc)?

Just occurred to me that my current QR skewers are about 5 years old and never thought of them as a wear item, but its only a metal and like any it can fatigue, and the consequences of a front skewer especially cracking off mid ride could be pretty bad. Even if you didnt superman and have lots of nasty injuries, I cant think of hearing anyone carrying a spare on a sportive etc

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes

brilliant reply from H&S, anyway, I decided to get some PlanetX ones as they are only £1.99 each

Leviathan replied to bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes
bechdan wrote:

brilliant reply from H&S, anyway, I decided to get some PlanetX ones as they are only £1.99 each

Sounds a bit cheap to be quality, how do you know they are any better... see doubt is the worst thing you can have.

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

I asked my friend Clive, who works in Health and Safety, for an opinion on this issue. He sucked on his pencil for a bit and then gave one of those long, tedious inhalations of breath normally confined to garage mechanics who have inspected your car's latest fault.
"Not a simple problem, not simple at all. The component in question is routinely subjected to any number of forces. Compression, tension, shear, twisting and impacts, just to name a few I don't fully understand. And then there's the worry of corrosion and accidental immersion in battery acid, I shouldn't wonder. Not to mention the possibility of the bike falling onto your head as you kneel to inspect the bloody things.
It would be best if we took a responsible attitude in this case and banned cycling altogether. After all nobody NEEDS a bike do they? Loads of buses and trains zooming about the place and they are really safe with no quick releases anywhere. And cars of course, don't forget cars. You're extra safe in a car, it's the seat belts you see, and the ESP. Or should that be EPS? Anyway, whichever it is you will be much safer in a car. I should buy one if I were you."

balmybaldwin | 8 years ago
0 likes

When I've got an unidentified squeak that I can't place (some are prone to this)

Matt eaton | 8 years ago
0 likes

I understand the line of thinking here but if you are going to go down the route of routinely changing parts to avoid sudden failure as a result of fatigue you need to consider a lot of components. Frame, fork, stem, bars, cranks and pedals would seem pretty likely candidates.

I have thought about this previously and gave some thought to changing my whole bike regularly to reduce the risk of sudden failure and selling on my old bikes as I go but its probably a cost-prohibitive exercise.

bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes

The ones I've got are PZracing CR5.3Q so are in the lightweight category

JonD | 8 years ago
0 likes

Much of the mechanical world relies on bolts, whether in shear or in tension -all a QR skewer does is put a long thin bolt in tension without the use of a spanner. Aside from gradual deformation of nylon/plastic bearing surfaces with some external cam designs I guess the main points of failure are gonna be at the threads, or the cam pivot itself. But I can't think I've ever heard of one failing.

There's the issue of QRs possibly becoming loose when used with disks wrt Ti skewers and /or some cam designs, but that's another story..

Check 'em periodically by all means, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

psling | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm still using Shimano skewers that are well over ten years old; I visually inspect them now and again and occasionally clean them and smear a bit of grease along them and they're fine.
I would be wary of any that I hadn't owned from new though - some people misunderstand how to use them and really do overtighten them, using the cam lever as an extension to wind them up which could strip the thread and/or stretch the bar. Equally, I've always steered clear of ti skewers in the belief that they may stretch in use (anectdotal paranoia?).

P3t3 replied to psling | 8 years ago
0 likes

When the rubbish external cam one that came with the bike started making noises like the BB was going!

psling wrote:

I would be wary of any that I hadn't owned from new though - some people misunderstand how to use them and really do overtighten them, using the cam lever as an extension to wind them up which could strip the thread and/or stretch the bar.

The instructions witht he new shimano skewer I just bought state that you should adjust the tightness of the threads so that you are using the maximum force you can generate with your hands to fully close the lever. To me this suggests it would be difficult to mis-use them by over tightenting.

Chris James | 8 years ago
0 likes

All my wheels are either Shimano wheelsets, or Shimano hubs. I only change my skewers when I chuck out my wheels. In practice I dare say they last almost forever, although it makes sense to check for corrosion and cracks every so often. I think you would notice that you would be unable to properly tension the quick release if there was crack, before the crack would propagate.

I am a mechanical engineer, although it is many years since I studied fracture mechanics.

I would be more concerned about super lightweight boutique skewers.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

The skewers directly aren't under all that much force though are they, just a bit of tension and unless tightening with a machine like grip, they aren't going to get fatigued...

Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have some Campag skewers here from the 60's, they still work fine.

Just inspect them routinely for cracks and damage.

...and obviously that they are fully secure!

bechdan replied to Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Alu/alloy or steel?

Flying Scot replied to bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes
bechdan wrote:

Alu/alloy or steel?

They're a mix of steel and alloy with internal cams.

Latest Comments