Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Starting up on a road bike

Hi all

I am trying to get a road bike, I have plenty of experience as a MTB rider although mainly in my country of origin (Portugal). I am not the most confident of cyclists (cars do pass way too close around here) and I have recently been given a trainer. Now I am thinking of investing in a road bike to get some exercise going (I do need to lose the weight) and eventually when braver to start venturing on the roads.

I have been torn between the Carrera Virtuoso and the Carrera TDF. Both can go for the £250 marker and i really didn't want to spend more. I am not expecting to race or do any mad hills.

Not really sure to be honest. I am 1.78m tall which is roughly 5.8 but the issue is that frame wise my arse sits in between the 51 and 54. I could go second hand but not sure really.

Any advice?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Snorrarcisco | 8 years ago
0 likes

Most of you recommended a second hand bike and I found a few on ebay, just wary of the eternal issue of warranty lol

would a Specialized tricross (i know purists will dislike it) be a step too far? I found one who is a mechanic's job but not sure really if all is as it should be

Sorry to be a pain

0 likes

Refused again lol seems the cycling community does not want anything with me. Maybe its because I am in the south or due to my name... oh well

On wards and upwards I suppose

0 likes

I keep getting refused HalfWheeler i try to get there and nothing lol its weird

HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

Buy a 2nd hand road bike. As long as it's in good condition you'll get more bang for your buck.

I'd avoid Gumtree but there are plenty of Facebook pages where you can search for a bike or even post an advert up saying you're looking for a road bike at £250;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/198728110180843/

Make sure you get a half decent bike for that price though. Have you got a roadie friend that could give you some advice and perhaps look at the bike?

At £250 for a 2nd hand road bike you should be looking for something with at least Shimano Tiagra gears.

As for the size 58cm is WAY too big. I'm 182cm, inside leg of 82cm and my bike is a 55cm. A 54cm would probably do you.

0 likes

I rarely find Claud Butler bike reviews especially cant find the 2014 Claud Butler Elite R2 I can find the spec and it is within range but very few people seem to use Claud Butler?

Are they a bad idea?

VeloPeo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Aye a 58 is way too big.

I'm pretty much the same size (5'9" & 29" inside leg) as Snorrarcisco and I ride a 54 - tried a 52 recently and it was too small for me.

Obviously things vary by brand and I have no experience of Carrera. Unfortunately Halfords tend not to offer test rides and don't have geometry charts on the website

Also, if you do end up buying from Halfords it may be worth joining British Cycling as you'll get a 10% discount. This might not be worth it on a £250 bike but if you decide to get something slightly more expensive.....

DaSy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Below is some text I snatched off the web, but outlines the Lemond method of frame sizing which always worked pretty well for me. At least this way you are actually basing your choice on something you can measure rather than random guess work.

DETERMINE YOUR PROPER FRAME SIZE
To determine your proper frame size, you’ll first need to get an accurate inseam measurement.
Stand with your back against a wall, your bare feet 6" apart on a hard floor, looking straight ahead. Place a book or carpenter’s square between your legs with one edge against the wall, and pull it up firmly into your crotch, simulating the pressure of your saddle while riding. Have a helper measure from the top edge of the book to the floor, in centimetres. (You can convert inches to centimetres by multiplying inches by 2.54.) Repeat two or three times, for consistency, and average the results to get your inseam length.

LeMond’s formula, from his former coach, Cyrille Guimard, establishes C-C size by the formula 0.65 x inseam length

FRAME SIZE
Frame size refers to the length of the frame’s seat tube. Pro frames are measured along the seat tube in one of two ways, centre-to-top (C-T) or centre-to-centre (C-C). C-T measures the distance from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube or seat lug. C-C measures from the centre of the bottom bracket to the centre of the top tube. Since C-T measures to a point higher on the frame, a frame measuring 55cm C-T would also measure roughly 53.5–54cm C-C, a difference of 1–1.5cm.

ibr17xvii | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm no expert but I would say 58 would be too big for you depending on the manufacturer.

I'm 6 feet tall & usually between a 56 & 58 so I would've thought a 54 or 56 would be about right.

Trying it out if you can is of course the best way of finding out.

wycombewheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm 177cm with 29" legs. My bikes are 54cm. The seat post is quite long and I could see a 56cm bike being ok. But 58cm would be too big I think.

0 likes

Isn't 58 a bit too big?

My main issue is that i have short legs!!! 29 inch legs I am sort of akin to a cylinder these days!!!

54 56 or even 58cm frames depending on brands seem to be recommended. I suppose wheel size a 700c is fine but if I go too big on the frame i don't know if I can reach. I agree i am not going to go out racing and therefore don't need the angle for cycling so a bigger bike would make it easier to cycle.

Second hand I would love that but very few 2nd hand sellers in Kent for anything around the £250 marker. Many on ebay true and I might have to go down that way but unsure if too big lol

Road bikes more off an hassle than I thought (for newbies I mean)

gdmor10 | 8 years ago
0 likes

check out the thread a little further down the forum with someone asking a very similar question. A few good links to other bikes on that thread.

Latest Comments