Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Loose easy to fit tyre suggestions for impossible rims!!

My friend has some tyres that are physically impossible to fit on the rims he has and one of the tyres is frankly easy to get on most wheelsets. It is a known problem with these wheelsets apparently, I have done my research!
Please no tyre fitting suggestions please! All I need to know is any suggestions for tyres that people have found fit really loosely onto 622/15 and 622/13 rims!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

bamilton wackad... | 8 years ago
0 likes

Conti Grand Prix. The easiest fitting tyres I've ever used.

joemmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe Durano. Though I don't wish to boast, I have in the past fitted the nemesis of all tyre wrestlers - Schwalbe Marathons - using only my thumbs and some blue language. However despite my obvious manual tyre wrangling prowess I was defeated by the combination of some Continentals and DT Swiss rims, the b*stards just would not go on, not even with tyre levers. The Duranos, by contrast, popped right on, no sweat or recourse to incantations.

I would recommend a bit of soap and water on the tyre bead as well, helps to fit them and to settle them on once you pump up. If a tyre is tight, it's more prone to sitting unevenly on the bead so you can get wobbles and flat spots.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Another one for schwalbes here

I have schwalbe dd ultremo tyres on my Reynolds assault disc wheels (also tubeless ready)

The tyres are easy to pop on and off the rim using your fingers, so now i no longer carry tyre levers  16  16

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

No problems with Schwalbes over here and I have a set of Sl23 rims notorious for being a bar steward to fit.
Another bit of advise keep away from VeloFlexes if the rims are that way inclined, I had sore thumbs for a week after loosing a wrestling match trying to fir a pair of these (against others advice).

KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes

Agree with 700cc - Vittoria Open Corsa are really easy to roll on, especially as they wear in.

Pair them with latex tubes and *ahem* your friend will have a sweet ride, every bit as nice as a tubular.

whizzkid replied to KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, but it really IS my friend! He said he couldn't get the tyres on and I smugly said I would do it for him but couldn't get the swines on either!! I spent more time trying to get them on than I would have done for my own wheels!! I would have given up far earlier and just binned the wheels or used them as wall ornaments!!  21

whizzkid replied to KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

Agree with 700cc - Vittoria Open Corsa are really easy to roll on, especially as they wear in.

Pair them with latex tubes and *ahem* your friend will have a sweet ride, every bit as nice as a tubular.

Thanks, but it really IS my friend! He said he couldn't get the tyres on and I smugly said I would do it for him but couldn't get the swines on either!! I spent more time trying to get them on than I would have done for my own wheels!! I would have given up far earlier and just binned the wheels or used them as wall ornaments!!  21

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

If it were me, and if it was a wheelset that I really liked (other than the difficulty of fitting the tyres), and if I was willing to shell out £100 for a pair as something of an experiment, and if I didn't mind the 3 day, smoke filled tepee, drum banging, pre stretching, chanting and glueing ritual and if I was prepared to learn how to remove a valve core and carry repair slime to deal with possible punctures then I'd be prepared to have a go fitting a set of tubular tyres.

Failing that, I'd make up a believable cover story and head to my LBS.

700c replied to Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes
Mungecrundle wrote:

If it were me, and if it was a wheelset that I really liked (other than the difficulty of fitting the tyres), and if I was willing to shell out £100 for a pair as something of an experiment, and if I didn't mind the 3 day, smoke filled tepee, drum banging, pre stretching, chanting and glueing ritual and if I was prepared to learn how to remove a valve core and carry repair slime to deal with possible punctures then I'd be prepared to have a go fitting a set of tubular tyres.

Failing that, I'd make up a believable cover story and head to my LBS.

Obviously this was a tongue-in-cheek response, and I'm not particularly wanting to hijack the thread but..
tubulars might be a little more complex to fit initially, but my experience has been nothing but positive with them - they roll superbly, enable you to use deep rims with no weight penalty, they're easy to replace in the event of a puncture (just carry a pre-glued spare), and I actually quite like the ritual of cleaning / gluing / repairing when the time comes..

(not that you should glue a tub onto a clincher rim, of course)!

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

Any of Vittoria's open corsa 320 tpi. very flexible and supple, esp when warm. don't even need tyre levers.

Latest Comments