Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Getting back on after a crash.

Hey guys,

I had a bad crash in April due to some idiot driver undertaking which caused me to veer and crash. I broke my collarbone and have had surgery, going to physio, getting documents and my GoPro footage for the police and my solicitors. It's all a great whirlwind of tasks that need doing.

Beyond this though is my actual thoughts on getting back on. After I crashed I was thinking 'I can't wait to heal and jump right back on!' I think because I've spent the last 2 or so months off the bike and had time to think about it, I'm actually a little apprehensive about it. I don't want to be as I love riding, the bike I crashed was my first road bike and I love it. I don't want to put my bike in the shed and say no more because i'm not the sort of person that would stop after one altercation. I'm more concerned because i'm moving to the Far East in August for a job for a year, and the last thing I want is to crash again and have the opportunity abroad slip away. I want to take my bike with me when I go and cycle around the country out there.

The crash happened in London when I lived there and now I've moved back to my hometown. I wanted to start riding here as it's a much more quiet, less hectic than the City and to build up my confidence, but I'm just worried about a vehicle passing too close and me going down again. I understand its all part and parcel of riding and you can't avoid it sometimes, but I rode 35 miles on the day of the crash and I was two stops from home when it happened. It was my second proper ride out on cleats and I didn't have any problem with them or any tumbles, I was getting really used to them but a little bit of my mind is thinking was it them as well as the bad driver?? I had been riding on the bike mostly at weekends since the start of the year.

Is there any tips to getting back on after crashes? Short rides? Back to flats instead of cleats? Or am I overanalysing all of this?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

SR2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys for all your help I have greatly appreciated it. Been nearly 4 months since my crash and so much has happened. The bike itself I've had the wheels replaced and installed Shimano Ultegra brake pads. I'm due to be moving abroad next month and struggling to find a way to take the bike with me.

Had a good old clean of the bike before I decided to take it for a very short run as shown below. It's strangely relaxing cleaning and fixing up a bike.

I took some baby steps and rode up and down my road SPD cleated in...wow I forgot how much my bike glides and the new wheels roll so effortlessly. It was lovely I'd almost forgot how good it feels to have the wind going at you, standing up in your pedals, holding the drops. Was very shaky at first but its good for a start. I'm going to build the miles over time.

I may buy a bike abroad and customise it there so I don't stop riding. Either way it was great being back on..felt a little happier as things haven't been so great the past few days.

Really guys thank you so much for helping and I'm going to start the long road to getting my passion fired up again.

Derny | 8 years ago
0 likes

Give yourself plenty of time. It can take years to recover sometimes, and it's important to have that kind of patience.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

Crashes happen, broken collarbones, and scaphoid fractures are very common injuries, with a bike crash. If you leave getting back on the bike too long, you will start finding more and more excuses, to not get back on, before you know it, you'll be out of condition, and struggling to justify riding a bike. That's the start of a very slippery slope.

dunnoh | 8 years ago
0 likes

I had an accident the other week - broken cheekbone, stitches and bashed knee. I have just been out. My advice is to pick a quiet scenic route - drive there if you need to. Take your cleats and computer off your bike and enjoy it.

CommotionLotion | 8 years ago
0 likes

Some good advice here. I am in a very similar situation after a hit and run. Two months on still getting some pain from the collar bone.  22

Leeroy_Silk | 8 years ago
0 likes

As above, you just need to get back on it but maybe take baby steps. Move back to flats for a short time to help restore confidence and start out riding in public parks away from traffic. Try not to over analyse, what happened to you was most likely just a freak occurrence.

JamesE279 | 8 years ago
0 likes

There's plenty of good advice around for getting back on the bike. Start slow, and see how you go.

After getting back on after my crash the biggest issue I had was with my own anger. I'm a pretty placid person, but more often when someone does something stupid now my blood boils. I hate that feeling, but I don't know how to avoid it.

Easier said than done, but try to stay calm, get off the bike for a few minutes, maybe stop at a cafe for a cup of tea. And then get back on.

Good luck,
J

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

MTB, get away from the traffic and into an environment where you can still crash, but you have more control over the risks you are willing to take with your current injuries and perversely it's sort of more fun when you do. As in; generally slower and nice soft greenery or muddy ditches to fall into. Even better if you can take some mates to laugh with you.

Forester | 8 years ago
0 likes

I started with a turbo trainer after breaking collar bone, hand, ribs, pelvis and shoulder blade and having a subarachnoid haemorrhage after riding into a deep gutter on a country lane. A friend turned up with the Turbo as I sat feeling sorry for myself and I never thought I would be able to use it, but it was a godsend. First road ride was terrifying and just to collect the paper. It took about a year to get confidence back, but I think that was the head injury. The main difficulty is that I know if I fall off again that will probably be my cycling over. Collar bone still hasn't healed but it has fibrosed apparently so not worth an op. Good look- I am now beating some of my pre-crash Strava times, and on the same bike too, it only sustained a bent brake lever!

KirinChris replied to Forester | 8 years ago
0 likes
Forester wrote:

I started with a turbo trainer after breaking collar bone, hand, ribs, pelvis and shoulder blade and having a subarachnoid haemorrhage after riding into a deep gutter on a country lane. !

And we have a winner  41

Wow, I broke my hip and was nervous about getting back on the bike. If I'd had all that I'm not sure I would have had the guts. Chapeau to you.

As for the OP, looking back I think it helps to do it in manageable steps. It's a process - you won't get all your confidence back straight away so aim to build up.

I also started back on the turbo for a while to get my fitness back and the feel of turning the pedals.

Then just did some easy rides, on my own, on dry roads at quiet times.

After that the next step was longer rides and with other people/small groups and in traffic.

Then descents and larger groups.

I haven't yet done anything in crap weather (one of the advantages of being most of the time in the desert) and I haven't done a race. So those will be the next boxes to tick I guess.

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just get on and ride, I had a crash due to misjudging/ hitting something on a corner and was off for 8 weeks. I still am a bit nervous on left hand bends but am enjoying being back on the bike more than I am worrying so all's good. But if it is the road and traffic that's making you apprehensive get on an MTB. (Actually know someone who is off the bike because of a fatal car crash on one of his regular runs that he didn't even witness so the mind can be a powerful block.)

SR2 replied to kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes
kwi wrote:

Just get on and ride, I had a crash due to misjudging/ hitting something on a corner and was off for 8 weeks. I still am a bit nervous on left hand bends but am enjoying being back on the bike more than I am worrying so all's good. But if it is the road and traffic that's making you apprehensive get on an MTB. (Actually know someone who is off the bike because of a fatal car crash on one of his regular runs that he didn't even witness so the mind can be a powerful block.)

Guess I could take a run on my MTB on a path past a local river like I used to. I'm familiar with the route and my hometown enough to know where to watch out for any drivers. I want to train more on my road bike as I was starting to see some progress however, which would mean taking routes I know that can be made by car. Not opposed to that as the roads that way are quite good.

Latest Comments