Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Safe Sunglasses

I have some really nice Decathalon photo chromatic sunglasses. I had a bad accident the other day and properly face planted at 20 mph. In addition to all my other injuries my eye brow needed stitches where the glasses went into my face. The glasses had loads of scratches on them and probably saved my eye. I was wondering though if there where any specific light cycle frames that were softer and less likely to cut and split skin in an accident?

Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

dunnoh | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ta I will have a look at the Adidas glasses

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

thinking about this iirc Adidas make some that have some foam padding or something to soak up sweat on the top of the lens...could be worth looking into.

Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

Are you inviting Road.cc follows to smash up their faces up in some giant experiment so you can buy the safe pair of sunglasses?  16

Jog on…..

dunnoh replied to Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

No of course I'm not. However post crash people could add reviews as to how well the kit worked.

dunnoh | 8 years ago
0 likes

Maybe this should turn into a glasses that break thread!! Its not a daft idea to report on helmets as well. I was using a Kask mojito. Few scrapes on it but no destruction. I think it could do with being slightly less close to the head so you get a bit more protection in face plants. My Rapha Baselayer didn't rip even though my shoulder looks like a belt sanders been on it.

Its odd but its rare to find reviews of kit and how well they perform in accidents

Jez Ash | 8 years ago
0 likes

Not volunteering to repeat the experiment to compare and contrast, but I recently went over the bonnet of a car at 25mph and landed on my face. I can confirm that these glasses don't survive that unbroken. But nor did my jaw, eye socket, nose or back, so I'm not sure how much that proves. I don't think they exacerbated my injuries, so I guess that's a plus.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't have an actual answer, however you say yourself that your glasses may well have saved your eyes, wouldn't you prefer to have a split eyebrow and fully functioning eyeballs than the other way round if the frame was too flexible/soft.
skin grows back, eyeballs don't.

dunnoh replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes of course I would - as I say the glasses have been superb. Just wondered if anyone could think of a pair with slightly more cushioning around the eye. I suppose we are into goggles if its too extreme!

CXR94Di2 replied to dunnoh | 8 years ago
0 likes
dunnoh wrote:

Yes of course I would - as I say the glasses have been superb. Just wondered if anyone could think of a pair with slightly more cushioning around the eye. I suppose we are into goggles if its too extreme!

Difficult, if nigh on impossible to answer unless several riders are willing to face plant whilst wearing various model of glasses for crash data analysis  16

Latest Comments