Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

A Midlands version of Ditchling please

Is there anywhere within a 40 mile radius of Brum that mimics Ditchling? Unfortunately NOT asking for a friend....

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

There is Mow Cap (9/10) climb, Jiggers Bank (3/10) and The Burway (9/10) also Peaslows (4/10) on this rating Ditchling is a 6/10 all in Simon Warrens 100 Greatest cycling climbs. There are a few others in there as well for the midlands.

Lisa Eva | 8 years ago
0 likes

Did it! Didn't get off and was really pleased!  36

monty dog | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Burway and Wrekin are far harder than Ditchling IME

Bokonon | 8 years ago
0 likes

From Cannock - to the west I would look at The Burway, The Wrekin and Jiggers Bank - they are all reasonably long climbs. To the east I would look at Hanbury Hill, Woodruffe's Cliff and Marchington Cliff, these are more short sharp efforts by comparison, but you can string these together to do hill reps if you are that way inclined.

Then there is always a ride over the chase - a loop out from Cannock up to Stafford via Penkridge and Teddersley road is nice warm up, then go up Brocton Road, then over the chase and climb Stile Cop through Hazelslade then back to Cannock - there is of course always Penkridge bank over the chase - it's not steep, but it's long consistent climbing and very local - going in either direction - I would avoid peak times as it gets a bit busy with cars, but early in the morning it's a nice ride.

Lisa Eva replied to Bokonon | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sounds good, I might try Stile Cop as a tester as it's a hill I know from living around there and can do a ride from home to warm the legs before as you suggest. I've done Brocton up to the Coppice and then over Sherbrook Valley to Hednesford, so if that's one of the suggestions even tho its not a biggie I'm going in the right direction. Cheers Lisa

Bokonon | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Burway out of Church Stretton is pretty close - although it's actually probably harder as it's 9% for 3km - a little further than 40 miles as well, but it's a great place to ride.

Lisa Eva replied to Bokonon | 8 years ago
0 likes

That would be perfect as I'm in Cannock so not too far. Church Stretton is just beautiful too. Thanks so much

Simon E replied to Bokonon | 8 years ago
0 likes
Bokonon wrote:

The Burway out of Church Stretton is pretty close - although it's actually probably harder as it's 9% for 3km - a little further than 40 miles as well, but it's a great place to ride.

Burway is tough and around 20% lower down, it doesn't get rated 9/10 by Simon Warren for nothing!

A little nearer is the Ironbridge gorge, with plenty of steep roads. There is a really tough climb from Coalbrookdale to Little Wenlock. To make it longer start at Dale End Park and go up Dale Road or up the narrow and steep Station Road through the woods.

South of the river try Bridge Road, about 1 km and used for club hill climbs. At the T junction turn right to add 500m and about 40+ metres of ascent into Benthall.

Lisa Eva | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all just need to get on them now!  17

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Is there a reason why you need this ?

It is possible to train for climbing without the need to copy a particular hill.

Lisa Eva replied to ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have been doing climbs but just interested to see how I would get on. In all likelihood I'll have to walk it up the beacon as the number of bikes will get in everyone's way (london to Brighton in september)

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Also going up Hagley wood lane is a killer if you want a challenge  10

Just as a rough idea : http://app.strava.com/activities/305110736

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just look towards romsley and the lickeys (no sniggering please  3 )
Shut mill, st kenelms pass, rose hill and Bromsgrove to the top of the lickeys up the main road, winwood heath rd and there's plenty more climbs in that area. (Even a cobbled climb if you look hard enough-called the waltonberg if you look hard enough)
I know none are quite as much as ditchling but you can pack 1000m+ vertical into <30 miles if you know the area.

mooseman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Probably stretching your 40 mile requirement but you might like to look at Dovers Hill, Fish Hill (a bit busy) and Broadway Hill, all around Broadway in the Cotswolds?

Latest Comments