Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Babadag, Oludeniz, Turkey...

I'm heading to Oludeniz next weekend and have managed to convince the wife that it's a good idea to take my bike on the family holiday  3

Been doing a little bit of route planning and have seen the road to the top of Babadag has recently been paved (See attached image). From the town it's a 10 mile climb with 5300ft elevation.

My question being, has anyone ridden to the top? Am I realistic in thinking that I'll be able to ride to the summit or should I just forget the whole idea and get a bus to the top to paraglide down like everyone else?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

Jonathan Knight - I'm going to Antalya (Side) in the next few weeks, is there any decent bike gear to be bought out there ? I know the markets stock the usual t-shirts etc but was hoping for some kit to bring back after the Tour of Turkey passed through the region. Cheers bud.

Jonathan Knight | 8 years ago
0 likes

Heading out at 6am is a good idea. I've been living in Antalya, Turkey for the last few months and I find it too hot/humid to cycle in the day so it's either very early or late that are best. Put on sun cream - I've had sun burn on the back of my neck even leaving at 6:30 am. Given my experience of Turkish drivers I thought cycling here would be a nightmare but the traffic where I am is nothing compared to my old commute through London.

boatdrinks | 8 years ago
0 likes

I’ve had a couple of family holidays close to Oludeniz, and although many of the roads at first seem ideal for cycling, with testing ascents and wonderful scenery, I saw very few people actually riding them, because it’s just so damn hot. I hate to pee in your soup but hydration and exposure are very real challenges there, and I’d advise much caution before venturing out solo on any unshaded routes. Bitter experience tells me that a proper case of exercise-induced sunstroke is alarmingly easy to succumb to and guaranteed to knacker the holiday vibe. Your missus will want to kill you and you’ll feel so bad you’ll wish she would.

Oludeniz and the bowl it sits in is in a particularly exposed position, so think very carefully about tackling an isolated 10 mile upward effort if you’re unfamiliar with the local conditions. As an alternative, try the long road across the peninsular from Oludeniz to Fethiye via Kayakoy, or the climb out from Calis Beach up into the hills to Yesil Uzumlu. They’re less dramatic, but equally less likely to nastily catch you out, and no less beautiful into the bargain. Sorry to come over like a boring doomhead - you’re going to a fantastic part of Turkey where the folks are almost universally lovely and excellent food is both abundant and dirt cheap. Hope you enjoy the hell out of it.

DeeJayJay replied to boatdrinks | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reply and advice. I've since discovered that the 1st third of the road up is still gravel, so I've had to shelve the 10m climb idea. Probably for the best.

I've already got the Oludeniz to Fethiye via Kayakoy route planned, looks thoroughly enjoyable and I can't wait to head out at 6am to explore it!

Latest Comments