Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Suggestions for women's hybrid bike with compact chainset

Looking for a women's hybrid for the missus. Sporty frame, compact chainset. One example would be the Boardman Hybrid Womens, but I'm looking for alternatives. Any suggestions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

From what you have described rim brakes are next to useless in rain, with the need to slow down , disc brakes are not affected. They work every time, first time. That alone is sufficient reason to use disc brakes. Disc brakes are a sensible and logical progression of technology. Like drum brakes on early cars were crap compared to disc brakes. I doubt very much that there is a significant difference in weight from rim brakes to disc setup.

Whether this particular lady is tear arsing down a hill or pootling along having full confidence in a bike is paramount.

Disc brakes are the future

steve hill | 8 years ago
0 likes

Take a look at the Felt QX85

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Try this website, it has numerous models for women
http://totalwomenscycling.com/commuting/urban-bikes/10-commuter-hybrid-b...

There is no reason to avoid discs brake bikes. They are the future, negligible weight penalty and superior braking in all weather conditions.

lukea-d | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for that. I'll have a look at your suggestions. For the type and frequency of riding my wife would be doing, disc brakes probably are overkill and extra weight. A triple is also extra weight and complexity. I think £500 would be my max price, but I'd be looking at discounted or second hand to get more bang for my buck. I might well end up with a gents/unisex option, as there seems to be more options.

Latest Comments