Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help creating a route for Garmin Edge 510

I have challenged myself to do the C2C from Whitehaven to the North East in a few weeks time.

I have already created a route (TCX) in Strava and to test if this routing would work I created a local route which I did over the weekend. While testing I noticed that sometimes the warnings for a turn were too late and sometimes didn't even signal a turning at all. Have I created the route incorrectly? Does anyone have tips on how to improve this?

Not sure if this is relevant but I also noticed that the route over the weekend had turn warnings in a black band at the bottom of the screen but I have seen some displayed a turning on the whole screen instead of just in text. Are these different types of file?

Note this is concerning a Garmin Edge 510 so I understand I can only use TCX files and not GPX.

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Marauder | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have used ridewithgps but it seems the same as Strava. Didn't realise you could adjust the warning time on routes created.

I will check these out.

Thanks all

Zermattjohn | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've not tried bikehike, but cheers for the info. Shall try that option.

Zermattjohn | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bikeroutetoaster is the way to go, as Mr Goyt says it's the only way to get turn directions to pop up. Using other planning programmes just seems to give you this either at the turn or, most uselessly, after it. As for when you get warnings, I think it depends on where you've clicked when creating the route. This means sometimes that you simply get a turn notification to go "straight" nowhere near a junction. BRT for me recently has been a bit unstable, crashing etc...anyone else experience this?

vonhelmet replied to Zermattjohn | 8 years ago
0 likes
Zermattjohn wrote:

Bikeroutetoaster is the way to go, as Mr Goyt says it's the only way to get turn directions to pop up. Using other planning programmes just seems to give you this either at the turn or, most uselessly, after it. As for when you get warnings, I think it depends on where you've clicked when creating the route. This means sometimes that you simply get a turn notification to go "straight" nowhere near a junction. BRT for me recently has been a bit unstable, crashing etc...anyone else experience this?

I use ridewithgps to plan the route, then take the tcx file from there and feed it into bikehike, which allows you to set a custom distance for the turn notifications. I usually have it set at 200 feet, which is usually enough, though I usually ride with the line drawing of the route, unless I know where I'm going.

If bikeroutetoaster will cut out the bikehike step, I might move over to that instead.

Goyt | 8 years ago
0 likes

I didn't realise Strava did turn warnings at all.

I have a 510 and use bike route toaster, that gives you turn by turn directions and allows you to set a custom warning distance in advance.

It's the only one that will work well with the virtual partner, slowing down on hills and speeding up on descents, again by custom amounts.

Don't know why some turns get a full screen and others a warning band unfortunately, I suspect the device decides that, perhaps based on turn angle..?

Latest Comments