Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

aerodynamics after adding bags

Hi guys,

I have a question about aerodynamics -

What if I buy me a aerodynamic road bike
and place on this, frame and a saddle bags?

Do I lose with this move all the aerodynamics? Would be the aero bike compared to
a none aero bike after this setup the same at aerodynamics?

For example the bags from Revelate Designs

www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Frame-Bags/TangleFrameBag
www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Seat-Bags/TerrapinDrybag

I need a bike who is very aerodynamic after I has placed there a frame and saddle bag
because I want make a cycling tour from 1 country to another and I want be fast.

In the bags are only sleeping bag, lightweight tent, mattress and some water / food.

Thanks
cyclebeatz

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Topcat | 8 years ago
0 likes

You need to look at how people manage long audax rides. They're doing what you want to by touring at a good average speed for days. They usually use road bikes or dedicated light touring bikes.

The main point of my first post is that if you rely on putting the bulk of luggage on a saddlebag like the Alpkit Koala then the bike becomes really top heavy and a pain at low speeds, especially if you need to man-handle the bike as it will want to fall over. If the straps work loose at all the bag acts as a big pendulum.

Lightweight touring and alternatives to heavy-duty camping & touring gear is a hot topic at the moment. There are lots of people pushing alternative luggage. Alpkit have been developing all sorts of bags and I have noticed Condor have their own luggage range now: http://www.condorcycles.com/Luggage/View-all-products.html

I've bought a touring bike as I have accepted that I do want to take weight, go camping and rattle down some by-ways. It's essentially replaced my mountain bike. I would like to build up an in-between bike at some point too, as much as I love the touring bike it is slower!

cyclebeatz | 8 years ago
0 likes

I see... Thats why I has never see stuff like that on a race..
It looks like, partial fairing makes only sense if you cycle very fast or I am wrong?

And yeah, with lots of wight its better not to go with a road bike
and better use a touring bike...

I have see videos of people who had lots of wight in the bags
and its very hard to ride. Thats why I would only take
very few items on my tour

Topcat | 8 years ago
0 likes

Having used my CAAD8 with a large saddle bag from Alpkit and other stuff in drybags attached to the frame I gave up and bought a touring bike. Racey geometry with weight high up will make your bike horrible to ride and difficult to maneuver in traffic. There definitely is middle ground but I suspect it involves using a rack and placing the weight as low as possible in a slim profile and a handlebar bag. A frame bag looks like a good idea but I imagine is a pain in a side-wind.

cyclebeatz | 8 years ago
0 likes

Found a interesting chart at Google

The partial fairing (zzipper) looks kind of strange lol
Anybody serious cycling with that?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_urSQl6wUA5g/TTZFTUOs6FI/AAAAAAAAIe8/zeE_bHhBpO...

I has never see a professional, cycling with this on a TT or
Tour de France. The chart tells, it makes you faster not much but faster...

Would feel strange cycling with this lol

bdsl replied to cyclebeatz | 8 years ago
0 likes

You're unlikely to see a professional riding a bike with a fairing at the Tour de France or a TT because the UCI has banned fairings. The fastest human powered vehicles are fully enclosed and recumbent, which makes them illegal twice in UCI races.

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Don't underestimate the amount of food you'll need either.

ChuckB | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yup, your'e either Wiggo or Mr. Bean. i couldn't find a middle ground...

cyclebeatz | 8 years ago
0 likes

Here are 2 pics - the one is the standard touring bike with
2 panniers at the front wheel and 2 at the rear wheel
and sometimes one at the handlebar.

This is not how I want go on tour.

More like the 2nd pic. But, only the bag at
the frame and the saddle bag because I only take a tent,
sleeping bag and mattress. Every item has only some grams.

So the wight will not be a problem if I carry only
these few lightweight items and a little food.

Only question was I had, about aero if I would get any
positive benefits from a aero bike with bags or not.

Would be cool if but I see now - even these
2 bags are already to much and destroy completely the aero

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Comfort should be your 1st consideration, more comfort will equal less fatigue, less fatigue means a more consistent pace, think of the tortoise and the hare.

ChuckB | 8 years ago
0 likes

Give up all hope of remaining aero, but this should not be your big concern. Weight is the big issue, you will significantly raise your center of gravity and you will come much closer to the weight limits of both the bike frame and the wheel limits. You also want to consider 28's if your frame will allow that width. Did Bordeaux to Santiago de Campostella on a CAAD8 with Conti 4 Seasons (the same ones we did Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders Psyclo) and ended up with an average of 2 flats per day, all pinch flats and got slaughtered on every hill. Average speed dropped from low 30's to mid 20's, so a 10% increase in weight yielded a 30% drop in speed. PM me if you want to go into details.

Must be Mad | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you are putting that much baggage on a bike, then I kind of thinking the aero profile of the frame is not too much of a concern.... I would be looking at a bike more tailored to long distance comfort.

Eric D | 8 years ago
0 likes

Eric D replied to Eric D | 8 years ago
0 likes

A saddlebag with uplift is good for a few days.
http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&product_id=82
GoreTex bivvy beats tent.
Down sleeping-bags pack smaller.
Matress ? Thinnest foam you can find. Or you can find corrugated cardboard in most town centres when the shops shut. Sometimes Pound shops have silver/foam radiator reflectors or windscreen shades.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

...and if you've not even bought a bike yet, I suspect your idea of 'fast' and the reality might represent something of a big gap...  3

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you want to ride an aero bike and go super quick, get a car to follow you with your clobber in the boot.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Aero bikes are aero in the wind tunnel. When you put a big round lump of meat on the top they are not very aero at all. When you put meat and bags on top they are even less aero.

Look at the bikes used for the round the world race for ideas:

//xtremesport4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/the-winning-bike-e1339869354623.jpg)

Rod Marton | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's difficult to say for sure, but I strongly suspect that having an aero road bike will make no improvement you your speed, and might make it worse.

Firstly, the aerodynamic design is based on having an unimpeded flow of air over the frame. This isn't the case here.

Secondly, drag is dependent on the square (arguably cube) of velocity. So the faster you go, the more benefit you get from an aero bike. So on a 10 mile TT, great, but on a long tour you won't be doing those sort of speeds and any benefit will be negligible.

In short, you are better off on a bike on which you can be comfortable and relaxed - this will gain you more time than any aero gain.

cyclebeatz replied to Rod Marton | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the very nice answers guys!

Well it was only a thinking of a completely newbie lol
So in other words, the aero bike is only aero if nothing is added.

If I add bags, I destroy the aerodynamic design
of the company who build the bike. And I only get
benefits from a aero bike, if I am very fast on the road.

Latest Comments