Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campag, Shimano or Sram ?

So who use's what and more importantly why?

reason for asking is, well 1. out of interest and 2. is that im out to get a new groupset to replace a very old Ultegra and quite frankly im not keen on the new 'hydro formed terminator' look of new shimano stuff..but still cant decide between something like Sram Rival or Campag Centaur..

cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

G-bitch | 14 years ago
0 likes

I think it's worth having a test ride of the different groups to see how you like the shifters - they're the main thing that seem to affect people's choices as they all feel quite different. I'm a campag lover for the older style (pre-09) ergos but mix them with shimano 105 at the rear using a JTEK shiftmate as campag cassettes and rear mechs seemed disproportionately expensive compared to shimano.

austen | 14 years ago
0 likes

Duh, was clearly half-asleep when I looked at CRC, will be making a list shortly...

Thanks.

austen | 14 years ago
0 likes

Coincidentally I've just been totting up a Rival drivetrain to replace the mix and match 8spd shimano I'm currently running. I also can't bear the look of shimano, particularly the cranksets as they're just too... ...solidcurvyweird looking.

I really like the look of SRAM but some internet hunting suggests that none of the big names have any in stock. If you can find some please let me know  3 !

cat1commuter replied to austen | 14 years ago
0 likes
austen wrote:

I really like the look of SRAM but some internet hunting suggests that none of the big names have any in stock. If you can find some please let me know  3 !

Merlin have a Rival groupset (172.5mm Compact cranks).

CRC have the individual components.

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

I was recently faced with the same decision. I'm building up a frame which has a conventional ISO/BSA 68 mm bottom bracket, and decided on Campagnolo because I really liked the crankset design, and which seems to have the best Q-factor (lowest width between pedals) and ankle clearance. I went for 11 speed too; it has got very good reviews, and the 11 speed 12-27 cassette looked very good, with nice even spacing up to the biggest sprocket. (12-29 cassettes will become available this year.) I decided on Athena, but as I was shopping around buying individual bits I got Chorus shifters and cranks which were cheaper than their Athena equivalents.

You might need to think twice about Campagnolo though, since it would mean at least a new freehub shell or third party Shimano-slotted Campagnolo compatible cassette. And maybe new tools for the cassette lockring, chain, etc...

Fringe replied to cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes
cat1commuter wrote:

You might need to think twice about Campagnolo though, since it would mean at least a new freehub shell or third party Shimano-slotted Campagnolo compatible cassette. And maybe new tools for the cassette lockring, chain, etc...

yeah that did cross my mind...makes fitting Sram all the more convenient as its all shimano friendly..

can you fit a on campag chain onto campag kit? and are they easy to split if need be?

cat1commuter replied to Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes
Fringe wrote:

can you fit a non campag chain onto campag kit? and are they easy to split if need be?

For 10 speed you can use a number of different manufacturers' chains on Campagnolo. I don't fully understand the issues, since a number of 10 speed chains are specifically mentioned as being both Shimano and Campagnolo compatible, yet KMC's 10 speed missing link comes in either Shimano or Campagnolo compatible sizes. Is the KMC missing link intended specifically for actual Shimano or Campagnolo chains?

Latest Comments