Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Multi-tool for rides

Looking to get a multi-tool, realistically what tools/features am I going to need?

I'm wondering if something simple with basic hex tools + a separate chain breaker might be better.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

chrisl | 8 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for topeak mini 18 here, it's really small but well made, though I haven't had to use it in anger yet (touch wood!). I also find the idea of my chain breaking difficult to imagine, but having a spill and breaking the derailleur or hanger (i.e. fixing bike as single speed to get home), that seems a bit more likely to me.

On my vintage commuter/tourer I've got a small home-made case with all the bits I need for it (allen keys, screwdriver, small 12/13,14/15 spanners, patches, levers, chain tool, link, chalk, gaffa) as it has too many odd large nuts and bolts that don't come on multitools. That stays in the bottom of my bag perpetually, as I ride it much more of the time.

Man of Lard | 8 years ago
0 likes

Topeak RatchetRocket - http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/RatchetRocket - all the hex keys needed, chain breaker. Add a pair of tyre levers and you're all done. If any of the bits are unsuitable for your bike, you can buy ones that are suitable - if you mash any up you can buy replacements.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The way I look at it is, if your bike is well maintained, you don't need to worry so much about issues. Except maybe for tyres then a little kit to replace inner tubes is necessary. Bikes these days have virtually all bolts that are allen head. So a little selection of keys could be useful for something coming loose. I have never had to do anything other than change the odd inner tube and adjust my seat post a few mm.

Al__S replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

The way I look at it is, if your bike is well maintained, you don't need to worry so much about issues. Except maybe for tyres then a little kit to replace inner tubes is necessary. Bikes these days have virtually all bolts that are allen head. So a little selection of keys could be useful for something coming loose. I have never had to do anything other than change the odd inner tube and adjust my seat post a few mm.

The best maintained bike can still develop easily fixed (with the right, light, tools) faults, especially when being ridden on typical British country lanes

Shades | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lezeyne make some pretty good compact tools. Definitely have one with a chain splitter; any novices will be in complete awe of you as you reconnect your chain! Top tip though; ditch a chain you've repaired on the roadside as soon as possible. I usually find the repair breaks again a few rides later. A Magic Link also gets you going quicker once you've cleared the broken one.

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's not so much the frequency of a chain break that's the issue but the consequences (as well as its unpredictability). If you're riding any distance unsupported it makes sense. Naturally, we'd all be happy if we never, ever need one...

alexb | 8 years ago
0 likes

Topeak Hummer, now renamed Hexus II contains all the tools you need in a decent package with decent amounts of leverage on the allen keys.
I have used Topeak chainsplitters to fix and fit 10speed chains with no issues.

antigee | 8 years ago
0 likes

broken a couple on MTB's not road - mangled rear mech = stick ? and one on a very bad gear change on a steep hill - [hobbyhorse]reckon 10/11 speed more prone to chain breaks - on sportives seen more riders with broken chains in last few years than last few decades[/hobbyhorse]

antigee | 8 years ago
0 likes

suggest looking at the Lezyne range, got given one as a present and now have on each n+1 - stainless steel and various options eg Torx if you run disks and some with the essential chain tool ^^^as above

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

For those not using things like a powerlink (which I've heard about snapping on a few occasions on this forum), I'm curious as to how many people have ever had a chain break on them?

For the 30-odd years I've been riding a bike I've never broken a chain.

PhillBrown replied to sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

For those not using things like a powerlink (which I've heard about snapping on a few occasions on this forum), I'm curious as to how many people have ever had a chain break on them?

I had a chain go on me during a ride a few months back... Completely removed the derailleur and three spokes from the rear wheel. Fortunately, my multi tool had not only a chain tool but spoke key too. This enabled me to remove what was left of the derailleur & cable, shorten the chain to a rideable gear and adjust the spokes to get the wheel straight enough to spin freely... Lasted quite comfortably for the 30 mile ride home!

nortonpdj replied to sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

For the 30-odd years I've been riding a bike I've never broken a chain.

I'm one of those who has broken a chain. I always carry a powerlink and a Topeak mini 18 which includes a chain tool that actually works.

Derny | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you're planning to ride anywhere that would be hard to get home from in event of a mechanical, I would take a chain tool. It is not fun to try to put a chain back together with rocks and allen wrenches.

cyclebeatz | 8 years ago
0 likes

This is the best multi tool you can get:

http://topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/ALiEN_II

PhillBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have one of these:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/12-function-multitool-id_8302874.html

Everyone in my club comments on how compact/useful it is and when in stock, only costs £7.50 from Decathlon. All the relevant tools including a chain breaker. ...can also be found under another brand name - I'll let you know if I remember what it is!

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've got a few different ones, luckily I've never had cause to use anything more than the Alan keys.

Simon E replied to sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

I've got a few different ones, luckily I've never had cause to use anything more than the Alan keys.

Most multitools have a load of bits you don't need, which can make them a PITA.

For everyday trips I carry an inner tube, levers and a puncture repair kit to which I've added 3, 4 & 5mm allen keys.

For longer rides the seat pack holds 2 tubes, tyre levers, Lezyne SV-5, KMC quicklink and a Park CT-5 chain tool.

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a Topeak Mini 18+ and a Park I-Beam 3 and find the Topeak the better of the two, have used the chain splitter in anger on both and the park one just seems too much faff. Plus the Topeak is about 1/2 the size and comes with a neoprene pouch that stops it rattling about.

Latest Comments