Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which road pedals?

On my road bike I'm upgrading from Shimano A600 SPD pedals and MTB shoes.

What are my options for lightweight race/fast training pedals and cleats?

I'd like a decent amount of float and maybe a bit of adjustability in release pressure and float.

Budget is about £100.

Cheers,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Phil H | 8 years ago
0 likes

I recently switched to speedplays from shimano 105 as i got fed up with feet skating over pedals if slightly out on clip-in. Cant fault them so far. Much easier to clip-in, amazing float & used with Keep on Kovers, no issues with clogging.  4

PonteD | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've just moved from mtb to road pedals. I went for the shimano 105 5800 pedals. No real difference I can see from 5700 apart from all the pictures of the 5700 pedals they have that annoying plastic odd shaped bolt that holds the pedal on, the 5800's just have a standard shaped hexagonal 17mm bolt than can be undone with a regular spanner, meaning maintenance is far easier as you don't need adapters to take them apart.

Woldsman | 8 years ago
0 likes

I prefer my Shimano 105 5700 pedals to the Ultegra I have on another bike. They come with the yellow cleats that have plenty of float for me.

Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Look Keo, old style, non blade.

The cleats wear fast, like the Shimano's, choose your float by cleat colour.

The more expensive versions just get lighter / more bling, the bottom of the range ones are great valu at around 40'quid.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

Speed plays are really nice pedals, very easy to get in and out of, in a hurry if needs be. However, they are a bloody nightmare to maintain, especially if you use them in 'British weather'. And they ain't cheap. I tend to go for carbon body Shimano SL's and blue cleats. There is sod all difference between the 105, and the Ultegra versions, other than the price. I've got the Carbon 105's on my Carbon bike, they work well.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

The fuss about Speedplay can be found relatively easily on the net, it was not a great example of good customer relations.

Shimano 105 pedals for me; they get battered over time, but keep on working well.

fukawitribe replied to crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

The fuss about Speedplay can be found relatively easily on the net, it was not a great example of good customer relations.

I'm aware of the spat with the guy doing a business with Speedplays and non-OEM bearings and parts - it was shit behaviour on Speedplays part in some ways (I have a certain sympathy in one regard, one only), and in particular how they handled it. It still doesn't stop the statement that they sue people who maintain their pedals FUD.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

shimano pedals to suit your budget, adjust float using cleats and tension is built in.
not speedplay coz they have tried to sue their users that try to modify (lighten) or service their own pedals  7 (also the cleats are bloomin expensive, difficult to walk in and clog with mud nd dirt if you even think about putting your foot down.)

fukawitribe replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

shimano pedals to suit your budget, adjust float using cleats and tension is built in.
not speedplay coz they have tried to sue their users that try to modify (lighten) or service their own pedals  7 (also the cleats are bloomin expensive, difficult to walk in and clog with mud nd dirt if you even think about putting your foot down.)

Nice to have other suggestions for the OP, and Shimano pedals are great value for money, but please leave the stupid FUD at home.

Speedplay don't sue people for servicing their pedals (they're very proud you can pretty much maintain them and update them for ever), the cleats are reasonably pricey as that's where the mechanism is but are fine to walk in (use KeepOnKovers anyway as it keeps them in pristine knick) and clogging is not really an issue in road conditions (certainly nothing like "even think[ing] about putting your foot down").

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd also recommend Speedplays, nothing really compares to them for float and they are staggeringly easy to clip into (and double sided). There is a adjustment for the amount of float with Speedplay Zeros but nothing for release pressure, not that i've particularly wanted it - they seem to have that pretty much bang on IMO. Not cheap mind, but I don't think i'll go back to anything else.. if I did it would probably be Time iClic2 or Xpresso - good clip in, decent amount of float with a small but nice feeling resistance, big ol'cleats which wear quickly though. All personal opinion of course.

RedIndian | 8 years ago
0 likes

Speedplays give you everything that you've asked for.

Latest Comments