Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dude in a car threw an apple at me

So yesterday I'm descending a hill in the countryside, I'm in primary position but going fast - just over 50mph.

I can hear this souped up car behind and when I need to slow down for some turns I move to the side to let him pass. As he passes me the passenger leans out the window and chucks an apple at me pretty hard. It hit me in the bicep and it actually really stung - the speed I was travelling and the force of the throw made it feel more like a brick (I've got a massive black and purple bruise on my arm to show for it). I wobbled a bit and very nearly went into the bank but thankfully stayed upright.

I was so angry at the time that I tried to chase them down, I swear I would have put my fist through the car window if I'd caught them up so its probably a good job I didn't.

The guys in the car were young, probably about 17. I memorised the number plate and the car is very distinctive, I'm pretty sure I've come across the car before - it makes a very loud and unusual engine noise. I didn't have a video camera.

Any advice on what I can do? Ideally I would really like to find out an address based on the number plate and go there to give them the apple back, show them the black and purple arm they created, and talk to the driver's parents. Failing that I guess I could report it to the police but to be honest I have no faith in them doing anything about it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Be careful about confrontation, I once found myself facing a car full of very drunk and aggressive lads after a similar incident where we all stopped afterwards for a red light. That was quite a few years ago, but it's one of the reasons I now use cameras.

I'd rather have the evidence and let the Police deal with it. And lesson learnt, there are some occasions when you shouldn't stop for a red light, such as legging it.

caising | 8 years ago
0 likes

Someone threw an egg at me once. Hit me right on the side of the face. Splat. It really hurt. Egg juice all over the place. Very sticky and unpleasant.

I was pretty angry too, but there was a massive group of them and it looked like the egg was just by way of an introduction and what they really wanted was to kick the shit out of someone. So I did one sharpish.

Not nice though!

Report them definitely. We must stop people throwing food at cyclists.

HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

Report it. Sounds petty but think what might happen next now that's he's got away with it. You don't have to tell the coppers what was thrown, just say that an object was flung at you and show them the bruise.

Pardon the pun but with these type of c*nts the appetite grows with the eating.

Vid | 8 years ago
0 likes

Forget the police,report it to the council.There's a road side sign , West Sussex I think, asking the public to report motorists who throw litter from vehicles to the authorities...£2500 fine. Do it !!

Shades | 8 years ago
0 likes

Apple....very healthy. I got the remains of a Big Mac, fries and a shake thrown at me once. Bedminster in Bristol....lovely place  44

Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just in case anyone is interested - the other incident I went to the police about was a guy following me and he sat blasting his horn right behind me for like a minute, following me within a couple of inches. God I shat myself.

Again, it was just some fucking moron motorist with a problem with cyclists - I wasn't even doing anything like taking primary position - I was on the side of a nice wide road. He thought he was funny.

The police were like "so, a chap tooted at you did he?" Like I was being an overly-sensitive pedant.

The problem was that going to the police just made me feel shitter about the whole experience - it gave me no closure whatsoever and made it bug me far more than it originally did.

So thats why I'm reluctant to go to them for this incident - I'm worried I would walk away from the police station feeling belittled again. I'm kind of over the initial anger now and am much happier and more positive taking matters into my own hands  1

PhillBrown replied to Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes
Kadinkski wrote:

I'm kind of over the initial anger now and am much happier...

Just remember your five a day... Problem solved.

Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes

My theory is that mommy packed his lunch box that day and he had been rummaging through it looking for the kitkat he gets when he's been a good boy. He found the apple instead and was so disappointed he just wanted rid of it, it was at that moment I presented myself as a fun target to aim for.

Yeah, I can't be arsed going to the police - last time I did something similar they practically laughed at me. I would if I had it on video.

I must admit hunting for the car is kind of fun though - one day I'll find it and my revenge is going to be the sweetest feeling I can imagine.

PhillBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes

Are you sure it was "some dude in a car" and not the UK Department of Health concerned that you were not getting your five a day?

bike_food | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm quite impressed with the type of grocery thrown at you by your local Neanderthals, it would've been a can of Monster around here, at least they seem to be looking after themselves.
Seriously though reporting it to the police will be a demoralising affair and by the time they get back to you to tell you they aren't going to do anything you will have long forgotten all about it.
Just keep an eye out for the car in a car park and accidentally reverse into it or door it if you get the chance.

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

Potato jammed up the exhaust. Not an apple? They'd probably make a connection and do something worse to the next cyclist who gets in their way.

Never under-estimate the satisfaction of revenge, but be prepared to pay a repair bill if you get caught.

enrique replied to Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes
Mungecrundle wrote:

Older, Wiser, Fatter, Slower...

Another great tag line!  1

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's dangerous behaviour and makes you feel angry because you're powerless (you weren't able to catch up) and have been the butt of someone's joke.

Report it if you have a number plate. You never know, the car owner may be known, other people may have reported similar things and this might be the final nudge required to get plod to pay a visit. Could be effective if the owner lives at home and mum and dad are there at the time.

But don't hold your breath. Teenagers, even nice ones, do stupid things and in this case you were not significantly harmed.

racyrich | 8 years ago
0 likes

Make, model and colour of car. Boy racers tent to be very proud of their souped up jamjars and there may well be pics of it online which will lead you to the driver.
Then key the crap out of it one night.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Find a friendly farmer and arrange the biggest tractor load of cow-sh1t to be dumped all over his pride and joy.
Failing that definitely report it. The best you can hope for is the police go round there and are particularly officious about it, which may make the young tits not do it to the next cyclist they come across.
I don't know how people can turn the other cheek and say get over it. It's stupid behaviour and why should we accept it is ok?

Derny | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would report it to the police and then send that report to the local newspaper with a photograph of the injury.

enrique replied to Derny | 8 years ago
0 likes
Derny wrote:

I would report it to the police and then send that report to the local newspaper...

That's true, the local newspaper might have an interest in writing something up and their readership might help you identify the car and the owner... At the very least, the local folk might appreciate being warned about the reckless behavior from the owner. I'd see it as community service to report it. I like that idea!  1

Redvee | 8 years ago
0 likes

Was it a braeburn, pink lady or golden delicious?

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was Really hoping you were going to say that you caught it in your mouth and took a bite just to spite them  24

chrisl | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd report it, you never know when it might be a useful thing to have on someone's record...
Incidentally, I've had a few drive-by-screamings lately, where someone shouts loudly at you as they overtake, presumably to send you flying (nice...). Fortunately about 8 years of London cycling has blunted the loud noise jumping reflex, so it has very little effect other than depressing me about some people's humanity  7

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

Breathe deeply, relax and forget about it.

Russell Orgazoid | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't think there is much you can do, officially.

Bide your time and key it when you see it next, if you are that way inclined.

enrique replied to Russell Orgazoid | 8 years ago
0 likes
Plasterer's Radio wrote:

It's not the ones you shag that you regret. It's the ones you don't shag.

Every time I read your tagline my mind wanders off to 'the ones I didn't shag'...  4 And then the whole day is wasted... since there are so many!  1

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Would you be able to identify the apple if you saw it again?

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't think the police could do anything as you have no evidence, it's just your word against someone who will probably deny they were using the car at the time.

Maybe the reg number will be noted and will come up on checks if the driver is seen by the police to be committing an offence.

mike the bike replied to Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:

I don't think the police could do anything as you have no evidence ......

Of course you have evidence. You were there and you remember clearly what happened.
If you think it's worth an hour of your free time then report it.

psling | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm guessing from the bruising that it was an iPad rather than an iPhone but, either way, don't take a byte from it if you managed to recover it. Report it to the police if you feel strongly about it but ask for the name of the person who will be following up your complaint and chase them to enquire their course of action.

Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hah! Yeah, I love the idea of creeping them out with some apple psychological warfare.

I've calmed down now so I'm not really interested in kicking a dent in the car door or escalating it to anything physical anymore.

I know there are bigger problems in the world, but I genuinely feel if I don't do something they will just continue thinking its a funny, victimless passtime and keep doing it. Except next time it might hit me in the head. Or next time it might be my girlfriend they target and she may not be as lucky as me in managing to stay upright. Or next time they might not have an apple to hand, so hey-ho, "I'll lean out and push the cyclist into the bank, saw it on youtube once, fucking hilarious etc etc".

userfriendly | 8 years ago
0 likes

Find the car. Place an apple prominently on its bonnet. Leave quietly.

Might creep them out enough that they'll behave better next time.

Quince replied to userfriendly | 8 years ago
0 likes
userfriendly wrote:

Find the car. Place an apple prominently on its bonnet. Leave quietly.

Might creep them out enough that they'll behave better next time.

Carve a creepy 'jack o' lantern' style face into the apple first though. Then you'll have a DIY Omen of Death - without having to worry about the actual 'death' bit.

Pages

Latest Comments