Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advancing Transfer Deadline in time

In the forum topic "Tour Suisse 2015", I posted the following statement;

"Issue of bringing forward deadline. TdSw stage 5 (stg 4 in road.cc)

Dave,
What's happening?

I'm sure when I logged out yesterday I had over 4 hrs to deadline; when I logged back in two and a half hours later (about 20 mins after race start time I later worked out), the window had closed. This is backed up by triccky100's comment "According to Steephill.tv this stage will start early, 1 hour 40 minutes before the deadline." So the deadline must have been moved forward.

This has severely disadvantaged myself (and presumably others) who were making late changes. Unfortunately it was a critical stage. The only fair thing would be to neutralise the stage (as per last year's Chongming Island), and give all players who made transfers, an extra (say) 6 transfers.

We rely on the transfer window time to be correct. Do we all have to check race start time for every stage now? I notice some confusion in times for UK players in the forum; how much harder is it on the other side of the world where we are not familiar with CET, daylight saving, etc and most of us haven't even seen Greenwich.

Obviously the deadline must be before race start. We need a firm policy which states something like, "If the deadline is moved forward within 24 hrs of that deadline, the stage will be neutralised, and transfers for that stage refunded".

For your consideration,
Cheers"

Dave has chosen not to respond, (which is a form of response), and no one else on the forum has kicked up a fuss, so I guess most players had put their team in.

If the policy is, “if a transfer deadline is brought forward in time, bad luck if you missed it”, that’s fine with me too. Just so long as that’s what we stick to. (Although I would have thought Chonming Island would have set a precedent).

My point is that the game needs to have firm rules, otherwise players lose confidence in the game and move elsewhere.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

enrique | 8 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

...Suisse deadlines... This deadline was 10 minutes after the race started today... June 14, 2015

dc04dc wrote:

...it looks to me like the deadline for Stage 4 is 50 minutes after the race starts...16th June 2015 - 4:36

triccky100 wrote:

... yep noticed the same thing....16th June 2015 - 6:35

tony kappler wrote:

... points for the TdS purist stages are being added to the overall Tseason competition score...16th June 2015 - 22:25

Dave Atkinson wrote:

i'll look into that...16th June 2015 - 22:45

Funny, dave acknowledged the points discrepancy but didn't seem to acknowledge, or he didn't notice?  39 the deadline issue that day?...

Maybe he took care of it and just forgot to notify us?...  39 Maybe they're just too busy...  39

Maybe some of you 'eagle eyes' out there could be given 'moderator' privileges of some sort?...  39

I just wonder why a statement wasn't made when the deadline correction was made...  39 Dave is usually pretty communicative...  39

Even Gkam was kind enough to notify us when he updated the rider values during the Spring Classics...  39

Gkam84 wrote:

... updated values... it might be that you are over budget, PLEASE check...28th February 2015

and when he 'tested' the scoring for the Women's race...

Gkam84 wrote:

... I was... putting in a team where I could test to see if the badges are showing up... Just trying to improve the game for you all...

39 I just find it weird someone doesn't come up and say 'This is what happened'...  39

triccky100 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have entered this thread very late, must admit I feel slightly responsible for the drama as I originally pointed out the discrepancy in the deadline. I did however feel it was important to mention as the difference between the start time and deadline was so large. Shame it was such an important stage and I feel sorry for players like Tony that were disadvantaged. I suppose the only positive is that there should now be a procedure put in place to ensure the same thing does not happen again. I guess we will hear about this soon?

tony kappler | 8 years ago
0 likes

to Joelsim; totally agree that deadline must be before race start; what I'm trying to do is have clarified what the game rules are when a mistake is made, (and the race organisers may even bring the race forward; it has occurred), and point out the unfairness of arbitrarily changing the deadline, with no notice given.

to Aragonite; thank you for your empathy; gutted is a good description of how I felt.

to Enrique; good question; who did change the deadline?

re Aragonites "'unscrupulous' players" comment, in my opinion, as a general rule, transfers are too precious to waste on picking breakaway riders. A losing strategy, particularly road.cc stage 4 when you could just about fill the team with good GC riders.

I did a quick look at the first 20 players on page 2 of the TdSuisse league (ie 198 to 219) just now; 7 made no changes for road.cc stage 4. Surprising considering stage 4 was a pivotal stage, and the one which probably gave the highest average score of the race; I'm suggesting that a lot of people missed out cos of the deadline change. It would be interesting to know the total of how many didn't make transfers.

Thank you guys for expressing your opinions. For a while I was thinking I was the only person on planet Earth.

Cheers

enrique replied to tony kappler | 8 years ago
0 likes
tony kappler wrote:

... transfers are too precious to waste on picking breakaway riders...

That might be the only (!) saving grace of having limited transfers and no penalty transfers...  39 I still wish we had penalty transfers back, though!  1 I still don't understand why we did away with them...  39 They were so much fun!  1

tony kappler wrote:

I did a quick look at the first 20 players... I'm suggesting that a lot of people missed out...

You might be wrong there...  39 I think a lot more people would have complained if that were true...  39 2nd, The TDS seems to have a full page less of players than the Dauphine, and, after seeing how many teams are 'abandoned' during the Dauphine, I'd say that not that many people were affected... I feel for you, but I think we would have heard about it if people had been affected...

tony kappler wrote:

... who did change the deadline?...

I tend to think dave always comes up and explains things when he's involved, so my bet would be it wasn't dave...  39

tony kappler wrote:

Thank you guys... I was thinking I was the only person on planet Earth....

Never. Not here!  1

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

Think leaving it as planned would be a better option. A few 'unscrupulous' players getting a slight benefit from knowing who is in the breakaway is better than people not being able to make transfers, particularly on a Queen stage.Like TER it doesn't affect myself, as I also do transfers the evening before.

TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can but being at work i didnt know about the incorrect deadline until after it all happened anyway, and admitidly as i do my transfers the night before i didnt even know when the original deadlines were anyway.

enrique replied to TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

... i didnt even know when the original deadlines were...

So who changed the deadline?...  39

enrique | 8 years ago
0 likes

The very least that could be done in cases like this is notify people that the deadline has been moved, or that it will (!) be moved, and when, by posting it here on the forum and probably by sending out an email, too... It's not wrong to correct the deadline, but it's mind blowing that the change isn't shared and notified to players...  39 It would fair to everyone to at least notify when a change is made... Is Dave the only one who can change deadlines?...  39

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

Must admit I'd feel gutted if what happened to Tony, had happened to myself.

Joelsim | 8 years ago
0 likes

The problem with that deadline Tony was that it was incorrectly set and was an hour and 40 minutes after the stage start so it had to be brought forward.

Latest Comments