Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sources for discontinued Shimano spares

I am looking for a nameplate for a 9-speed right hand shifter, for a Tiagra ST-4500 groupset. This has been discontinued by Shimano, and I am having trouble sourcing this part. I wondered if anyone on here might either a) have one on an old shifter that they would be prepared to sell (just the nameplate, not the shifter), or b) if anyone could recommend a good source for discontinued Shimano parts, or c) if anyone has a good workaround for this, I am sure I am not the first person this has happened to.

In terms of sourcing, I have tried LBS, ebay (someone is selling a battered RH Tiagra ST4500 shifter for £18 p&p, but I don't want to spend that much on a small piece of plastic) and SJS cycles, all to no avail. Its either find a nameplate or upgrade shifters, with added need for cassette, cables, rear derailleur, chain etc etc etc, all of which is costly and frustrating given the nature of the part that is missing.

If anyone can help that would be great

thanks, Ewen

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Redvee | 8 years ago
0 likes

ST. John Street cycles website might be worth a look, they usually have a good range of these parts listed.

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

There's no need to replace all those parts if you do opt for new shifters. You can just replace them with Sora 3500 shifters, which are 9 speed and likely better quality than the 4500 shifters you're replacing. You'd probably need new cable inners, but that should be it.

Speedy72 replied to vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Vonhelmet, you're right of course, but that assumes I am able to resist the opportunity to upgrade from 9 to 10 speed when going to the bother of replacing the shifters!! And I am not sure I am...

I'm not really sure what to do for the best, I have a pair of Sora 3500 on my watch list on eBay, but I think I would rather just stick with the tiagra I've got if I can get the name plate. It's just less hassle. Road.cc forum is my last throw of the dice, to see if there is anyone out there with a stock pile of discontinued shimano spares!

PhillBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes

From a quick search... A new set of nameplates are £20+ per side, so a whole shifter for £18 seems a good deal... Especially for all of the additional spares!

Part number that you are looking for is "Y-6LP 98030" but I can't find anyone selling them.

Speedy72 replied to PhillBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes

thanks Phil, I could find plenty of single nameplates for ST-4600, but none for the ST-4500, I guess they are the sort of things people hold onto and cannibalise over the years.

Latest Comments