Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre size, 23mm or 25mm??

Hey all,
I'm relatively new to road cycling, having converted from mountain biking. Now I ride a giant defy 5 at the mo which has 25mm tyres on, I find them comfy and fine, I'm looking to upgrade my current tyres and get some schwalbe ultremo zx, or even some giant pslr. I can only seem to find those in 23 or 28, most online retailers only stock them in 23mm, unless 25mm is so popular there sold out everywhere!
I use the bike for 20-40 mile rides and the odd commute. I'm gonna upgrade to a 2015 defy advanced 1 or 2 sometime shortly(when it's back in stock)

So what are most of you riding tyre size wise?
Would I Notice a difference if I swap to 23mm?
What kind of difference?

Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

IME not much difference between 23 and 25mm. Would opt for 28mm regardless of your weight, you can always replace them if they're too comfy.  3

Ultremo ZX is a lovely tyre to ride, GP4000S and Michelin Pro4 have very similar qualities.

http://mccraw.co.uk/schwalbe-ultremo-zx-review/

If you're 11st I'd not put more than 100 psi in any of them, and even less for the wider versions. Try 90 psi then drop 10 psi and see whether you prefer it.

tourdelound | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Schwalbe Ones, 25mm or 28mm, should be able to pick up either online for £27-£28. If you go for 28mm, make sure there's clearance, although the Defy is an endurance bike so I reckon you should be OK.

BBB | 8 years ago
0 likes

28mm

Why would you restrict yourself to a choice of either 23mm or 25mm ?

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

25mm if they will physically fit in your frame.

Lee170 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'll take a look at schwalbe ones, I'm 5ft 7in and 11st so small ish rider

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Fit 25mm tyres, they are comfier and will roll better. Have you looked at 'schwalbe one' tyres. They have good reviews.

Also if you're a big rider you will need the extra volume or run 23 mm at very high pressure.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Fit 25mm tyres, they are comfier and will roll better. Have you looked at 'schwalbe one' tyres. They have good reviews.

Also if you're a big rider you will need the extra volume or run 23 mm at very high pressure.

Latest Comments