Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Prudential Ride 100 Training - How Far should I ride

Hi

I'm currently training for the Prudential Ride 100, I cycle to work (only 4miles each way) trying to do a hilly 25 miler in the week and a longer ride on the weekend. I've never done 100 miles before (current max 45) and wondered how far I should get up before August 2nd.

I set myself a goal of adding 10 miles a week to my long ride leading up to it to a max of 90 the week before. So working backwards 1 week to go 90 miles, 2 weeks to go 80 miles, 3 weeks to go 70 miles, 4 weeks to go 60 miles etc etc but surely doing a 90 miles the week before isn't advisable?

I know when training for marathons they only suggest to train up to 20 miles and do the last 6 on adrenalin. So what's the cycling equivalent 80?

Cheers

Gary

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

Gary81 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hope everyone had a good ride. Despite 2 punctures I managed to get round in 7hrs which was my target. My Strava moving time was 6hrs 20mins so pretty pleased overall.

edvelo replied to Gary81 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Gary,

Well done on getting around. I also got around, thankfully without any mechanicals although I did have to pick a couple of guys out of the hedge after they took each other out. I made it around in 6hr 17m (I got through before they closed Leith Hill), moving time was 5hr33m.

If you ever want to join our rides we have a little club in Cranbrook, have a look for us on Facebook, Cranbrook Cycle Club.

Cheers,

Ed

LondonDynaslow | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you can do 70 miles solo, you'll be fine. Just make sure you eat and drink enough on the day, because you can't eat enough pasta the night before to fuel you for 100 miles. Other than that, it totally depends on your aims really, but don't forget to enjoy the spectacle.

Gary81 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Chrissie
Original poster here, sounds like your more than prepared, one long ride at the weekends is fine. I've been struggling to do that of late and coming down with a sickness bug last weekend feels like its put me back to square one. As a result my longest ride has been 53 miles so i'm pretty apprehensive but sure i'll grit my teeth and get through, it wouldn't be the first time. I hoping to get in 70 miles on Saturday and one last hill session probably over mamhead on Monday then i'll rest up until Sunday. Good luck!

Gary

Chrissie | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi,
This is also my maiden 100 miler and although I'm apprehensive, after reading these messages I think I'm doing ok. I'm also from East Devon and have been training over the local hills (Mamhead/Peak Hill). My longest ride was 71miles which took me from Exmouth through Lyme Regis and back via Axminster and Sidmouth. Total climb was around 5000ft but I'm not breaking any world records where speed is concerned but I'm averaging 13mph so I should make it round ok.....I hope. My only concern is that I'm only able to do one long ride at the weekends, I'm running and swimming twice a week though as I'm taking part in a local Triathlon this weekend. This is a great site and I shall be dropping in again to keep up with all the great advice. Thanks

Mike59 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Some good advice here. My own experiences: I did the London100 last year, trained a lot (I live in Guildford so did Leith, Box etc) but only did an 80-miler before the big one. Although it was shortened, I had no major problems with the ride, but went out and did 100 miles the following week to see if I could!

Hardly any training this year in terms of distance - maximum was a 50-miler last week (all this due to family/work issues), but the main thing for me is not miles, but the time actually spent sitting on a bike saddle. An energy bar every hour and gel when I needed it saw me through last year.

As said above, Newlands is OK, Box is really not difficult (even for a 56-year old like me!) but I I find Leith the hardest. A series of short, steep ramps and false crests! The condition of the surface doesn't help either. Never got off yet though!

Good luck and massive hope for better weather!

Cheers
Mike.

edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Did 80 miles yesterday (following on from 45 VERY hilly miles on Saturday), my longest so far, and felt pretty good by the end. Stopped at predetermined times, kept well fed, drank a lot and averaged 17mph, which for me is faster than my previous ride.

New bike syndrome might of played a part, as well as wanting to get out of the rain, but either way, with 3 weeks to go I now feel ready for my first 100 miler.

Beatnik69 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Last year I did my first 100 miler. I prepared by cycling to work most days (17 miles round trip) riding 30-40 miles on a Saturday or Sunday. I did a 60 mile sportive in July (my furthest distance to date) then an 80 miler at the end of August, a few weeks before the 100. A few weeks ago I cycled from Belfast to Dublin (108 miles) then back again the next day (which was easier, thanks in part to a tail wind). My advice would be to have a good breakfast ( I favour a big bowl of Ready Brek and an espresso) and eat when you get the chance, even if it's something like a small chocolate bar. Good luck with it.

edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Gary81 - The goto hill is Mamhead, a lovely climb with some pretty steep sections, but very enjoyable and a lot nicer than the very steep Sidmouth hills (Peak and Salcombe hill, which hit 30% ish I think).

My distances and elevation have increased, yesterdays ride was 65miles with over 5000ft of climbing, (a big jump from my previous best of 3100ft) but to be honest the pleasure of riding on Dartmoor really helped and the hills just flew by.

Good luck with your training.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes the hill at Wimbledon is a bit of a mare, but only mentally, I've ridden up it after doing 70 odd miles, in the past. When you see it after that sort of distance, the first thing that you think is 'FFS, really?', but actually, it's not as physically demanding as the earlier hills, because the adrenaline, and endorphins have been flowing for a while.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Don't forget there is another hill somewhere in Wimbledon, about 90 miles in. No-one mentions it, and it isn't that hard on its own, but at the end of RL when you think you just have a flat bimble along the Embankment left it is a nasty shock!

Newlands isn't bad, 45 miles in, big feed stop at the top. It took me an age to get through there in the first year, I would avoid it if possible.

Leith Hill is quite tough; it has narrow parts and the surface is awful in places. It can be a struggle to ride up with more than half the road blocked by walkers/pushers. I think it is around the 50 mile mark.

Boxhill is a lovely smooth surface, 60-odd miles in, very steady gradient (I think the Canadian Army put the road in for their tanks in preparation for DDay). The views are stunning, but it isn't that steep due to the hairpins; I would say you would have to be a real novice to find it hard.

Lots of good advice previously, really focus on your pacing and staying at what you think is comfortable. I tried to hang on to a bunch that were doing 23 mph last year, it is a brilliant feeling while it lasts but really saps your energy for later.

I think doing a long ride is very important, it helps you prepare for things you may not have thought about, cramp in your shoulders, aching wrists, sore feet from being in cleats all day, never mind your butt. Work out how long you can go without stopping so you can figure out when to stop. If you have to stop every 2 hours, then don't try and get a third of the way round without a break.

bikebot replied to Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

The hill in Wimbledon, is "Wimbledon Hill"  4

It's small compared to the Surrey hills but the gradient is steep, steeper than Box. The side roads between Ridgway and Worple Rd in Wimbledon are great for training. Try this! -
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.421032,-0.215222,3a,75y,292.12h,97.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLxkhScU433naRTtIHzNV3w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

MartinGS replied to Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was on Leith Hill last week and parked at the side of the road was a huge tarmac laying machine - so maybe the Leith Hill surface may be better come the August ride?!

edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm riding this in August, and it will be my maiden 100 miler.

I live in East Devon, and looking at the profile of the three main hills on the route, they don't overly bother me, what's more concerning is that they are quite a long way into the route.

My local go to hill for training is the same length as Box Hill, but carries a 2% higher ave gradient.

Did Haytor yesterday, which is 3.6m at 6% and felt pretty comfortable (despite what my HRM was saying)

Either way, I plan to up my training time to around 5 hours in the saddle, and probably do one or two 80ish mile rides before the even to make sure I can last the time.

I'm really looking forward to the event, and the advise on this post is most helpful, so thanks very much.

Gary81 replied to edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi edvelo

I live in East Devon too, where is your go to hill? I went up Mamhead for the first time last week which is about the same size as Box hill, and plan on train on that as much as possible. Sounds like your training is coming a long nicely if your comfortable up Haytor. I need to get more hills in as at this point it's my weakness. Was planning on riding the Dartmoor classic (65mile) this weekend but not sure i'm ready for that much climbing yet.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I see what you mean, but I would always prepare for things like this by training to be able to do the distance then trying to do it a bit quicker; it removes the anxiety related to being able to finish and allows you to enjoy things more.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's easier for those who have done 100 miles before to go out and knock off another, but many riders in the LP will be doing their maiden 100 miler, so training beyond 100 defeats sense of achievement in doing the LP.

Gary81 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the feedback guys, appreciate it.

crazy-legs | 8 years ago
0 likes

Do you know what start time you've got?
Just asking because at RideLondon the temptation, especially in a large group, is to go out much harder and faster than normal.

You'll find it's much easier to settle into a rhythm, the fact that you're not stopping for traffic lights and you're in a group means it's steadier and easier to pace yourself - provided of course you've not gone out like a bat out of hell!

Also, what crikey said - just go out and ride 100 miles. His suggestion of getting the train out somewhere and riding home is a good one, just make sure that you check the wind direction first then head home with a tailwind!

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

One tip I have now learnt is to get a HRM and ensure you do not go over about 170bpm. Try and work out your HR zones and stay within threshold. Since I have been doing that climbing become much easier.

Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I do 100 milers frequently, but rarely train for more than 50 miles, but those 50 miles usually match the elevation of the centuries.

It's done me for years.

wycombewheeler replied to Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

I do 100 milers frequently, but rarely train for more than 50 miles, but those 50 miles usually match the elevation of the centuries.

It's done me for years.

excellent point, it's not the miles that hurt, it's the metres of climb.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you're a big rider, say over 84kg, the hills will be a challange. Don't be butch, fit the largest rear cass you can fit. Pace your effort, don't go into the red zone or you won't enjoy the hills. Leith hill is the steepest gradient, but all 3 main hills will take their toll on endurance.

I wasn't able to do leith or box hill due to weather/safety concerns from the organisers. I have cycled all three now on my trainer.

A tip i found is try and find hills which are longer, not necessarily steeper to build your hill climbing capacity. I have been cycling famous long alpine hills and now don't worry at all about UK hills. Riding up and down then up again the same hill will help, but the rest period takes something away from constantly riding up a gradient.

Jem PT | 8 years ago
0 likes

I too am doing the Ride 100 this year. Until last weekend the furthest I had ridden was 45 miles, although my weekly rides included at least one Leith Hill, Newlands Corner or Box Hill as I live close by. Last weekend I did the Tour of Cambridge - 82.5 miles. I got to 70 miles and hit the wall - I just had to get off and let my body move in non-cycling ways for a few minutes before carrying on.

In my experience the hills are more of a challenge than out-right mileage, so I would concentrate on those if you can.

le Bidon | 8 years ago
0 likes

You get used to the sore bum.

Apparently I'm doing this ride on a tandem this year - should be an interesting experience...

giff77 replied to le Bidon | 8 years ago
0 likes
le Bidon wrote:

You get used to the sore bum.

Apparently I'm doing this ride on a tandem this year - should be an interesting experience...

Just don't pick the short straw for stoker  13

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Riding 100 miles is like making love to a beautiful woman; you'll never know how it feels until your legs turn to jelly and your bum gets sore.

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have been doing 100 km rides for a while now and felt fine. At my first 100 km sportive I messed up my feed regime and felt awful about half way round but recover once I got some food in me, bananas and flap jack did the trick. On my first 100 mile sportive recently made sure that I ate and drank properly and found that I was ok at the end. Sure I was tired but felt I could have gone further if I had needed. My advice would be to make sure you eat proper food and ensure you remain hydrated. One last thing make sure you pace yourself and don't ride at a speed that is too fast for you, easily done if you get into a group. I was able to maintain an average speed of 16.8 mph over the 100 mile distance and it was quite a lumpy route, this is about 2 mph faster than my daily commute 8.5 miles but then again your not having to stop and start at lights.

Good luck with your ride.

gonedownhill | 8 years ago
0 likes

Kind of depends on how you feel at the end of your 45 mile or so rides at the moment?

I recently did a 100 mile sportive. About 2 months before did a 100km ride, at the end I was knackered and after some food had to go and take a nap. I then did a couple more of around 100km, after which I was basically okay, and an 85 miler in preparation for the sportive. I was still knackered on the big day though, but I think that's probably pretty much unavoidable.

Take some food that isn't sweet is my best advice.

arfa | 8 years ago
0 likes

Drafting might be pointless on a recumbent but it makes a huge difference on an "upright" as such and going back to the OP's question, if he can draft, it will vastly reduce the exertion required (hence the training reduction).
I train regularly solo and there's a huge difference in 100 miles solo and 100 miles wheelsucking  3
Some group experience is a good idea regardless as it will help your handling and anticipation. I saw some pretty bad smashes last year and was able to avoid them. For example if someone is on your wheel and doesn't announce themselves - beware ! Similarly if they have no clue on indications or half wheel - beware ! I could go on but I am sure you catch my drift.

Pages

Latest Comments