Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Track pump deep sections

I'm having trouble getting over 80 psi in my new 65mm deep section wheels, I've got 80mm inner tubes in but they are smooth valve type and the track pump head always blows off anything over 80 psi? I've got a rubber grommet in the valve hole to stop rattle but even with this removed they still don't pump up enough, can't seem to get a good grip on the valve?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

levermonkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried having the valve at either 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock (12 o'clock is better), it ensures that the head of the pump is hanging/sitting square.

Also, if the valve is at 12 o'clock then you can support the head with one hand whilst you pump with the other.

I have used smooth body valves for years and the only time I've had problems was due to worn rubbers in the pump head.

0 likes

Have you tried having the valve at either 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock (12 o'clock is better), it ensures that the head of the pump is hanging/sitting square.

Also, if the valve is at 12 o'clock then you can support the head with one hand whilst you pump with the other.

I have used smooth body valves for years and the only time I've had problems was due to worn rubbers in the pump head.

0 likes

0 likes

dazzle | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's a struggle to get fully threaded valves 80mm long, I wouldn't say conti tubes were cheap? Don't understand why there smooth?

Martyn_K replied to dazzle | 8 years ago
0 likes
dazzle wrote:

It's a struggle to get fully threaded valves 80mm long, I wouldn't say conti tubes were cheap? Don't understand why there smooth?

Here you go. Used the company many times and never had a problem with payment or delivery. Tubes are good quality too.

http://www.innertubeshop.com/collections/road-inner-tubes-1/products/80m...

miro_o replied to dazzle | 8 years ago
0 likes
dazzle wrote:

The rubber grommets wear out. If you bought a Silca you can replace them when needed. If you didn't you maybe you can't (have a google for spares – I'd be surprised if Joeblow and SKS don't have parts available).

Quality tubes from Vittoria and Michelin have smooth bodies. It just means you get a good seal and don't knacker your rubber grommets.

MKultra | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would get new tubes.

The cheapy stamped steel smooth body valves don't hold pressure very well at all, I have had one blow the entire valve core out before now.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

What kind of pump do you have? I've seen this problem over and over with cheap track pumps that have the double heads

dazzle | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's the lever lock type, I'm trying to push it right down but it's moving up and coming off

Lbowron | 8 years ago
0 likes

Are you screwing the head onto the smooth part of the valve? It tends to work better if you only use the threaded bit where the valve cap would normally go, it gives somewhere for the rubber to grip. Is your pump one with a screw lock or a lever lock?

Latest Comments