Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

122m OLN Wheel build advice wanted for Peugeot P10LS

I have a Peugeot P10LS that I've been enjoying riding but today the rear wheel was kicked in by some charming youths while it was locked outside a cafe. I'm looking for advice on how to replace the wheel.

The width of the dropouts is a weird size, 122mm, so there aren't really any new wheels available that would fit. I really enjoy riding it as a weekend road bike, and rode it at Eroica last year, etc, so I'd like a good rear wheel, not some soggy feeling old thing. The existing wheel was a Maillard helicomatic hub mated to a 700c Mavic M4 rim. The hub runs ok but shows some signs of wear and tear. My options are:

1) buy a new rim and have it built onto the existing 6 speed maillard hub.

2) buy a new rim and have it built onto a used 5 speed campagnolo hub (120mm so close enough to match) that I have - picture of this hub attached.

3) buy a new wheel, perhaps remove spacers to get it down to 128mm/126mm and cold set/spread the frame to accomodate the difference.

This is what the bike looks like: (right)
http://www.re-cycle.com/images/Peugeot/1985_French/1985_07.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can provide.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Derny | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think rebuilding on the Helicomatic is a bad idea. In perfect condition the Helicomatic is noisy, poor-shifting, and of course decades obsolete, not compatible with any modern cassette.

If you're going to widen the rear triangle, you may as well go directly to 130mm and be able to use the most common modern parts without modification, like an 8-speed Shimano cassette.

Also if the Campagnolo hub is French threaded I would not consider reusing it.

Latest Comments