Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling through Longleat grounds

As the title suggests;

I will be in that area in a couple of weeks and created the linked route from the Endura Lionheart sportive i did a couple of years ago.

Will i be able to cycle through the grounds without issue? I have had a recce on Google streetview and there appears to be a couple of white gates that could be used to close the road.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9788400

Obviously the sportive was based from the grounds so it was open for the route. I just remember the view from the top of the hill being fantastic and wanted to experience it again.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

unclebadger | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dont worry about it you can ride round the entrance way to the park. Ride past the security people and wave.

They wont let you in any of the pay for bits but that doesn't matter. You can ride for miles down the Heaven's gate road and get the stunning views of the Capability Brown landscaped grounds.

Mind out for cattle grids and just dont ride through the Lions enclosure with a load of raw meat in your back pockets...

simon.thornton | 8 years ago
0 likes

Munny's Park Rash can be recommended for keeping wildlife / lions at bay. Apply liberally and also put a dab behind each ear.

http://www.munnylee.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=60

edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was there yesterday and thought it would be a great place for cycling, especially the mile or so hill from the house to the ticket gates.

bikemadjo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi

You can cycle through the gates without any issues and i have done it a number of times in the past.

if you get there early enough they will have closed the road to up the hill traffic so you can use both sides of the road (but best to check with the gates before bombing down the hill)

happy cycling

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's not the lions i worry about. It's the monkeys nicking bits off my bike!!

I've taken another look at the route and seen a couple of sustrans route 24 signs on it. Looks like i should be ok. Just off now to cross reference the sustrans route though.

leaderthiever | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sustrans route 24 goes through Longleat. I've cycled through Longleat a couple of times. There is one gate which blocks road traffic but you just have to squeeze underneath!

Didn't see any lions...

Bob's Bikes | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just don't feed the lions.

Latest Comments