Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Bike

Hi all,

I'm having trouble deciding on a new bike. I'll be using this bike to get fit on club runs and social rides. The bikes I'm considering are the Boardman hybrid pro and the Giant defy0. My priorities are comfort and more relaxed (non twitchy) handling. I cant make my mind up which to choose, which do you think is the better bike ?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Poptart242 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a Defy 0. It comes with non-series Shimano brakes - not direct mount items. I'm swapping mines out for some 105s for chain-gang and descending reasons (for the commute they're fine though).

Fits your other requirements - handling is good at speed and predictable. Geometry/seatpost/dropped seatstays make it comfy at the rear too.

BB makes for decent power transfer so the effort you'd put into making progress isn't wasted.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Giant is a better bike, if you're used to drop bars, and sportive type geometry. The Boardman will be about 70 percent as quick, and a lot more practical, if you're new to riding. I'd say buy them both, but that's 'cos I'm greedy  3

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Boardman road team carbon is in your price range £999

kenF | 8 years ago
0 likes

That looks a nice bike, but totally out of my price bracket of £1000. I've already got a commuter & a mountain bike so was looking for something a bit lighter and faster. Road bike seem to be at a cross roads at the moment, with them moving towards disc brakes. But these bikes are too expensive at the moment & they seem undecided whether to adopt through axles or not . I imagine the direct mount Ultegra brakes on the Defy0 would be really good

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

A bike with drop handlebars will be comfier over distance because you can alter your hand position to several positions and height. Speed will be better on road bike. Why don't you look at the other Boardmans with drop handlebars. Are you especially wanting disc brakes, if you are get a bike with hydraulic brakes, they are the best brakes.

Just to add, you're best picking a bike which can do most things, road, path or even off road a bit, so look at maximum tyre widths, ideally upto 35mm width. Eyelets for mudguards and brackets for panniers etc, hydraulic brakes and wide range gearing upto 32T( cassettes are generally easy to swap) for making hills easier.

look at this bike, good all round bike
http://road.cc/content/review/152497-jamis-renegade-elite

Latest Comments