Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddles. Again.

Hello chaps.
My lovely Canyon shipped with a Fizik Aliante saddle. I've tested (iirc) the whole Fizik range and not found one that I actaully 100% like. It's my sit-bones, they take quite the pummeling. The same goes for charge spoons, crappy boardman saddles, etc. The only saddle I remember 100% liking was from a Halfords Carerra which is sadly long gone. I am seeing a lot of Brooks cambiums in my targeted advertising due to reading a review and I desperately want to try/like them, however spunking over a ton on a saddle that might not work is a bit galling. Do any of you fellows have any suggestions?
Yours,
Paul

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Chris James | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a Brooks B17N and that is pretty good. I also have a Planet X team saddle that is okay for 2-3 hours but gets uncomfortable after that. This is a clone of the Fizik arione. I also have an arione and that is the most comfortable for me, but by the sound of it, not the original poster!

therevokid | 8 years ago
0 likes

swapped from charge spoon to fabric (yes i know ... the same guys) scoop and
is been like night and day. The scoop is way more comfy. I've got both the shallow
elite and flat elite. The flat is just that touch nicer on the road bike, but only just.
both are good for 100km or 6 hour rides. This is very odd as the spoon would have
me being for mercy after 40km !

and at £40 I wasn't throwing huge sums around  3

Adlopa | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've had little joy with saddles over long distances, but I found the Fizik Arione R7 to cause the least numbness — though I still got sore sit bones after about 60km. The lauded Charge Spoon was also like sitting on a fence post...

I too thought about the Cambium after reading the positive reviews, but it's just too expensive to risk. So despite finding a Brookes B17 Standard monumentally uncomfortable (and not ideal for a road bike) and wanting something in readiness for the P100, I took a chance on a Gyes GS-06 — a Taiwanese copy of the Brookes Swallow. Ebay purchase, brand new, £44 inc shipping and it arrived within a week from Taiwan.

It was _instantly_ the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on* — and it's stayed that way. I've ridden about 450km in two weeks on it so far, including 120km through the Chilterns, and it's like sitting on a comfy chair. I love it. Bit heavy, mind, but worth it.

I've since discovered Spa Cycles sell something similar, but I've no idea how it compares.

[* All bums are different, etc.]

whitehorsewheeler replied to Adlopa | 8 years ago
0 likes

My new Adamo saddle is great although it feels a bit different and it certainly looks strange, I had no numbness or soreness since got it. Haven't done a genuine full day on it yet but I'm very optimistic

alotronic replied to Adlopa | 8 years ago
0 likes
Adlopa wrote:

I took a chance on a Gyes GS-06 — a Taiwanese copy of the Brookes Swallow. Ebay purchase, brand new, £44 inc shipping and it arrived within a week from Taiwan.

I've since discovered Spa Cycles sell something similar, but I've no idea how it compares.

I have the Spa version of the same thing and, after several thousand miles, I gave up. The Spa versions have a membrane glued to the bottom which probably makes them last an age but means they don't seem to break in very quickly. I went back to a Brooks B17 narrow. I would like a Ti Swallow, but tooooo expensive.

For up to 200km I find the Cambrium good, but over that I accept the extra weight of the Brooks - 600km Audax last week and all good down below.

There are plenty of people who do a 600 audax on other saddles though, so there really is no magic formula. £20 Planet X Team works up to 200km for me too and looks a lot nicer than a Brooks on the carbon bike...

The only thing I will say about a Brooks is that IF you have the appropriate 'Brooks arse' and can survive the first 1000 miles then it's the only saddle that will get more comfortable over its life.

Ropedoctor | 8 years ago
0 likes

I recently bought a Selle SMP Hell, unfortunate name, but by far the comfiest saddle I have ever sat on, and I've sat on a lot!

Only downside is I'm now looking at one of their more expensive offerings for my good bike.

stevie63 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Many cambium dealers have a test saddle so you can try before you buy, I am considering giving this a go myself.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think Selle Italia have some fit system. I don't get on with Fizik saddles, am still looking for one that is comfy beyond 2-3 hours.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Adamo saddles allow you try before you pay
http://www.trybikestore.co.uk/

Anthony.C | 8 years ago
0 likes

I also have sensitive sit bones but find Fizik saddles (without relief zones) to be the most comfy in that area and Spesh saddles to be the worst as they put all the weight on the sit bones. If you have the aliante vs version the relief zone won't help your sit bones. With Fizik saddles the angle is crucial, you need to get the front half of the saddle level or pointing down a fraction, I measure it with a spirit level app on my phone, even fractions of a degree make a difference. Being 100 % happy on a saddle is a lot to ask, though. What about bibs, are you wearing Assos?

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sit on some gel and measure the width of your sit bones to start.

Everyone is unique.

I prefer a rock hard saddle that fits my sit bones and a huge cut out for my perenium area.

I spent money on a few Spesh Toupe and recently 2 saddles each costing £160 - yes it's a lot of money (for me) but I want to have sex at 90 years old in my playboy mansion.

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I to have had to change my Fizik as it just did not suit me. I have reverted back to Flite Original. All three of my bikes now sport this classic light weight, leather covered saddle that costs less than £60. IMO this classic design is still the one to beat !

badkneestom | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cambium resale market isn't bad. Get what you pay for, may be able to find a shop that will let you sit on one.

Latest Comments