Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hope it gets easier

Ok, first post....been riding a hybrid, a great hybrid, for the past 2 years, putting in 100km per week +, have today purchased a second hand Fuji Roubaix 1.0, took it out for a quick 10km inaugural trip, also first time using keo pedals, cleats and shoes, anyways average is up 3km an hour on the hybrid with minimum effort, great but felt like hard work at the end for only 10km, planning an 80km in 2days, will I make it, any tips in making the transition? How do I get comfortable with the new positioning. After most cycles on the hybrid I have few aches or pains, 10km on the road bike and I'm feeling pain in muscles I didn't know I had.....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Keep the hybrid for when the rain comes! Or flog it and use the money to get some new goodies for the road bike!

Feltqx95 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I know but me and my hybrid have been through some good times over the past 2 years, yes i got it through the bike to work scheme and yes had i known then what i know now i would have gone for a road bike, but it's still hard to say goodbye. Oh well, i'm over it, time to move on although when i clean the Fuji i won't let the Felt see.......

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

why cheating ? just taking the next logical step up in cycling !

Feltqx95 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well that didn't take long, 80km smashed, broke everyone of my segment records, flew down hills, still working on climbing better but wow. I did the whole spirit level between the legs minus 10cm and that seems to have worked for the saddle to crank. That dot at the back is now almost out in front with the rest of the group. Avg up 5km on the hybrid and a total 550m gain. I think I'm going to like this bike....still feel like I'm cheating on my hybrid though.

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

Getting used to a new bike and yes it feels weird but ride and give it time.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

practice and getting used to the new position is all you can do.

Going to a new bike (especially from an upright hybrid to a more aero road position) takes a little time.

To get more upright to start with until your body adapts you could consider raising the stem (if spacers allow) - you don't really want to mess with the saddle height/position too much though (assuming it's right to start with, google bike fitting).

As you've a fairly long ride in not very much time - probably the best thing you can do is take a fair few breaks while doing it. When your back feels sore, stop for 5 minutes and have a stretch etc.

Latest Comments