Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Handling video for police

So, last night i submitted a complaint of a left hook to Sussex Police via http://www.operationcrackdown.org/

The complaint form says: "If you have a video or photograph of the incident, then please add your link in the box below. We can accept links to files that have been uploaded to YouTube, DropBox or similar, unfortunately we can not accept videos or photos by email." (emphasis added) No mention of keeping it private. Then, when you've finished, it tells you afterwards that you should not make videos public as it may affect how they can use them as evidence!  7

So I set the video as "unlisted" on youtube so the link still works but it isn't publicly available.. Not sure whether this counts.

Anyone have any experience of this?

I'm not expecting any more than a warning letter at most, so I don't think it will be important in this case, but I wondered what other people's experience is?

PS, it would be an Audi wouldn't it?!  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

DaveE128 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well, the guy got a warning letter. Hopefully it will cause him to re-think his driving.

I was shouted at by a different Audi driver (!) this morning for "riding in the middle of the road"  29 Had a short conversation that wasn't too uncivil, explaining that government approved courses instruct cyclists to do so when riding through narrow points like the islands in question. I hope he'll go away and google it, but suspect he is far too arrogant. Unfortunately I didn't have the cam on the bike I was riding this morning, or maybe he'd be getting a letter too.  2 I have a terrible memory for number plates  2

bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Unlisted is fine.

If it's visible to everyone, and people start commenting on it, the CPS will consider that prejudicial in the (unlikely) event that the Police wish to apply criminal charges.

I'm not familiar with the Sussex system, but generally an online report will only result in a warning letter unless the car has multiple reports against it.

BrokenBootneck | 8 years ago
0 likes

I emailed them again, they responded. They were going to go and "have a word" but as it was a hire car, and they are not looking to press charges nothing will be done. So there you have it, if you want to get away with dangerous driving, use a hire car.

BrokenBootneck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hopefully you have more luck than I had in Southampton, they didn't even bother to reply to me.

Latest Comments