Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike without wheels

Okay this might be a really stupid question, but I am stumped as to what is the answer.

When I was looking for a new bike I decided that I did not need fancy wheels as I already have a decent set, bought after buying my older bike, and a winter set, which came with the older bike. I have also got another average set that I had from some other bike.

So i was thinking why can I not just everything but the wheels, it would save me money and save me haivng another set of wheels that I would just change anyway. Thee must be a reason why this is not done already, but I cannot see any site offering bike only, no wheels. Any Ideas I reckon it must save, even at the cheapest and cruddiest wheels, inners and casings £100-£150. I know I could just order all the parts, but that a new build.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

Or pass on the discount to the buyer instead of some cheap wheels.

The cheap wheels can be good training wheels?

allanj replied to Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

I you are upgrading and keeping your old bike as a winter one then you are likely to have access to training wheels.

Keeping the wheels as training wheels will suit some, I'm just looking for flexibility.

allanj replied to Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

I you are upgrading and keeping your old bike as a winter one then you are likely to have access to training wheels.

Keeping the wheels as training wheels will suit some, I'm just looking for flexibility.

allanj | 8 years ago
0 likes

I thought the same as the OP recently, there must surely be a market for bikes with or without wheels. Looking at most manufacturers ranges the wheels are often very weak compared to the rest of the bike's spec with a clear expectation that they will be swapped our for a better pair that the purchaser already owns, or updgraded. Either way the purchaser or dealer is left with wheels to shift on, and I can't help but think that the market for Shimano RS10s will become saturated eventually!

The dealer could hold basic wheels in stock for test rides and then offer various options on wheels for the bike from none at all to a decent set. They'd have to have a modest range of wheels in stock but mostly ordering in to suit. Not as much of a palaver as a full custom build but more flexible.

But then again I know nothing about running a bike shop!

This also pertains to reviews- lots of good bikes out there get a so so review on the basis that the wheels (or even the tyres sometimes!-http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-ce...) aren't so good.

AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Working on economies of scale the majority of bikes are needed with wheels so its cheaper not to deviate for manufacturers and retailers. With minimal demand for bikes with no wheels retailers are worried they would get stuck with stock they can't move easily.

You could possibly buy a cheap frame set and group set and do the build yourself, with clever buying you can do this to a tight budget

Personally I think you'd be better off buying an ex demo bike or last year's bike for super discount and then eBaying the wheels yourself.

Also it makes test rides a nightmare  3

Latest Comments