Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Beginner women's road bike

Good morning everyone,

I am looking for recommendations for an entry level road bike. I live in Derby and there seems to be a wealth of shops in my local area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Planet X Pro Carbon !

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

A simple way to see if the bike you are trying roughly fits, hold the brake hoods and look down. You should be able(just) to see the front of the steerer and the front wheel axle over the front of the handlebars. From there its just a case of correct leg length. All other minor adjustment can be sorted with different stems.

Tinternet_tim | 8 years ago
0 likes

Looks like I'm a bit lateral the deal I don:
Anyway, for future. The below might help

Samway have some good intro level bikes, mainly trek or spesh which you can't go far wrong with.

Cyclomonster near the Asda roundabout seem to offer some specific builds, so they might be able to tailer a bike to yoy cycle and budget needs. I've used them for wheel trimming and they did a good job. So I'm sure they'll do a good gob in a customer build. I think the do focus and Scott in your price bracket.

Halford do boardmans, personally I think you get a lot of bike for you money with boardmans.

I didn't have a good experience with the cycle shop in Derby. I bought my first Road bike with the and got told the bike I bought was a perfect fit......now I have learnt more about Road bike fit and positioning it is bury clear it is at least 1 size to big, possibly 2. They were just trying to clear old stock  2

Kim79 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hello there, so after visiting quiet a few shops yesterday I have finally purchased a DOLCE SPORT EQ 2015. really excited, thanks again for all the advice.

gdmor10 | 8 years ago
0 likes

let us know what you get!

Kim79 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for all the responses. I am going to visit a few store this weekend. Exciting!  3

gdmor10 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Best thing is to go into a shop and have a chat, i guess they can be intimidating places if you are not used to it but my experience is that most people that work there are helpful. When I wanted to buy a first guitar I felt intimidated and ended up buying one at Costco but don't do that for a bike!

There quite a few in your price range at Evans and although it is not a proper bike shop the female Boardman at Halfords for 499 looks pretty nice.

Hope it goes well, pretty exciting to get a first proper road bike!L

liquigaz | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought my wife a Specialized Dolce Triple for Christmas and she loves it! Good quality components, well-constructed - and the triple chainset gets her out of trouble on the hills. Neither of us have any regrets about this choice for her first 'roadie.'

Super Domestique replied to liquigaz | 8 years ago
0 likes
liquigaz wrote:

I bought my wife a Specialized Dolce Triple for Christmas and she loves it! Good quality components, well-constructed - and the triple chainset gets her out of trouble on the hills. Neither of us have any regrets about this choice for her first 'roadie.'

+1 for the Dolce.

I bought my wife one for last year's anniversary (her request). She says she couldn't believe how comfy a road bike could be.

Kim79 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for both responses, my budget is around £500.

Beatnik69 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Victoria Pendleton range, available in Halfords, get good reviews.

gdmor10 | 8 years ago
0 likes

What is the budget? I bought a Norco for my partner last year and she loves it but there are loads of options and it is mind boggling for people just starting.

I think though all the big brands wont let you down as it is a very competitive market these days!

Latest Comments