Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TRP Spyre vs Shimano hydraulic brakes

I'm thinking of getting a new road bike with discs and wondered whether the £300 extra that would get me Shimano hydraulic brakes over the TRP Spyre ones is worth it. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

carytb | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all. Am leaning towards the Spyres as I'm not sure at my level and speed I need the hydraulics, also if doing some light touring I would not fancy a problem with hydraulics a long way from home/bike shop that knew what they were doing. If I'm wrong I can always upgrade and stick the Spyres on eBay.

Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've got the Spyre ones. No complaints. But I have no experience with hydraulics. When I got them added to the bike they gave me a spiel about how both brake pads move, and that this gives the modulation as close to hydraulics as you can get. I fell for it hook, line and sinker, but happy to be swimming on the end of that line at the moment.

joemmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hydraulic brakes are lower maintenance than cables if set up correctly. The main advantage is in the feel and modulation rather than power. If you can afford it, get the hydraulic but the spyres will still do a fine job.

DazzW | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've fitted TRP Spyres to my Synapse and they are a massive improvement on the Promax units it came with but the rotors and pads aren't good at all and you'll spend extra upgrading these. Obviously hydraulic brakes are going to have better stopping power over the Sypres but will probably be more fiddly to set up/maintain.
The only way to be sure is to test ride some bikes with these two types of brakes and see which works best for you and your style of riding

Latest Comments