Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spectating Tour de France

Quite by chance we are renting a villa in France only a few minutes from one of the the TdF stages as it passes through. Never having spectated at a cycling event before I would like to know if any sort of booking is required, how early to get there, will roads be closed nearby - anything useful for a noob really.

Thank-you in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Mother Theresa | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think that's the fullest reply to a question I have ever received; eclipsing even the excellent one previously. Thanks both.

MT

bikemadjo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi All

I'm lucky enough to have a cycling mad partner so we go over to the tour most years so here is my two pence on spectating.

The tour de france is a great sport to watch from anywhere, the first year we spectated from the top of a climb at Mur De Bretangue near the finish and then again at the finish the following day at Cap Frehl (to see Cav win) and loved it.
Since then i watched them at Mount Ventoux (half way up), the start at Versailles and on the Champs Elysees twice. As such i can tell you that you don't need to book at any of these places. (though the last 15 metres to the finish line is a VIP section with a temp grandstand so you need to book a seat in that section if you want to see the exact finish)

It is worth noting that if you are watching from the side of the road (not near the start or finish then you are likely to be stood in a very small group and therefore will have a better chance of being thrown some goodies that you can keep. If you at the finish the french people go crazy to get this stuff, i was pushed into a ditch by an old lady for some 10p haribos.
stuff i've got included:
- that days newspaper
- Haribo sweets and drinks
- inflatable stick - to bash together to make a noise for the riders
- caps
- bread and cheese
- an imprompto shower from a pressure washer - which was nice as it was boiling hot that day.

My tips:
ON ROUTE - If you are going to watch from the side of the road at some point in the middle you will only need to be there about 30-40 minute before they are planned to arrive and this is where you'll get the goodies without too much competition. Also try to pick a hill, as you'll see the riders for slightly longer.

Try to be a few Ks before the feed zone as riders will get rid of bottles around this area, My friend came home with at least 12 bottles one year doing this.

START - If you are seeing them at the start get there about 90 minutes early if you want a good spot. No goodie are generally given out here but some of the riders will sign stuff for you whilst they wait to start the day.

FINISH - Get there at least 4.5 hours early (seriously!) Do this and you'll be able to get about 15-20 metres from the finish line. Though to maintain this spot you'll need to be ruthless and have someone with you. The locals will try to barge to the front in the last hour but strong elbows and a glare will stop them for a little while. in the last hour you have the choice, get the goodies that will be thrown over you head (you can try to catch them if you have good reflexes (which all us cyclists do naturally  3 ) and risk the local sneaking in or stay fixed on the prize of seeing the riders without anybodys head/arm or body in the way and get some great pictures.

CHAMPS ELYEES - NO BOOKING REQUIRED - BE THERE ALL DAY IWTH FOOD ALREADY PREPARED TO EAT YOU CANNOT LEAVE FOR THE WHOLE DAY!!!! Best chance to see all the riders is to be there all day! The barriers are double layered so that people don't get to close but you can see them do multiple loops and if you are on the none finishing side you can get within 5 metres of the 'finish line' line without obstruction but anywhere around the last 30 metres is fantastic if you can. No goodies on this day though as it is all business! To stay at the barriers you are going to have to be very ruthless and crazy clever but it is worth it as there is no better spectacle than seeing that final sprint.

If you can't get to the Champs Elysees 3 hours before they arrive don't try, people will already be 6-8 lines deep. Instead head for the Rue de Rivalli (final 1k before the turn onto the Champs Elysees) either on the shops side or in the park in the middle. here you'll get to see the riders winding it up for the loops around paris and it is quiter than the Champs Elysees (but still fairly busy) in the park there is two ramped sections that you'll need to be there a few hours early so that you can see them go up the Champ Elysees.

Hope this little guide helps in your viewing!

Langlais | 8 years ago
0 likes

No booking required - viewing is on the (public) roadside (except on the Champs Elysees in Paris!). The roads are closed to traffic (apart from official vehicles) 4 or 5 hours before the race passes by (detailed timings on letour.fr nearer to the day). So best to walk or cycle to your chosen viewing spot. Get there a couple of hours before the race itself to see the "publicity caravan" - it's often far more entertaining to watch than the race itself (especially on a flat stage because the peloton will go past in about 20 seconds in a cloud of dust/exhaust fumes). If the weather is reasonable (or even if it's not), do it the French way and take a picnic with baguette, fromage, charcuterie and vin rouge (in moderation, of course!). Make sure kids & dogs stay off the road at all times (see 0:50 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22LzG-RtJYs).

wellcoordinated | 8 years ago
0 likes

One thing you might want to consider is the brevity of the event on a flat stage. Depending on the state of the peloton and if there have been any break aways it could be all over inside a minute. Yes you have all the motor cyclist managing traffic and the team cars, but the cyclists are gone in a flash.

Mother Theresa | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's day 5 and yes, I think a flat boring one.

edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

In my experience, you won't need tickets, but getting there early to get a good spot is advised.

Best viewing is on climbs, as you'll see more of the action, but of course they fill up early with other eager fans, and there are a lot of them in France.

If it's one of the more, for want of a better word, boring stages, then I'd just have a look on the stage profile/google maps and pick your spot.

Latest Comments