Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Turbo Trainer Wheel

I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not, so here goes...

I've got an old Mavic Aksium (worn rim, missing a spoke, well out of true) that I'm looking to use as a dedicated wheel for my turbo trainer.

Is there any harm in using this as a wheel for my turbo, or are there any longer term issues with running an out of true wheel on a turbo trainer (for either the trainer tyre, trainer itself, or my bike)?

Thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

levermonkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Aksium wheel was a very very good entry level wheel. As a result there were and are a lot of them out there so chances are that a good LBS will have spokes in their workshop for them. You could increase your chances if you can find an LBS that mentions Mavic in their advertising.

Give them a ring! What have you got to lose?

turboprannet | 8 years ago
0 likes

mavic spokes will be likely be different, even your LBS will likely have to order 10 but you'll know it's done right and you have comeback if not - especially if you're only using it on a turbo and you're not recreating road bike party on it.

riding without sorting it runs a high risk of rubbing against your frame and damaging it considerably as well as shortening the life of whats left of the wheel.

just my opinion though

levermonkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Simple solution - Take it to your LBS.

gthornton101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Fair point, hadn't considered trying to true it myself as I thought you needed a proper truing stand but a quick search on YouTube shows otherwise.

Next question, can you buy single spokes for a Mavic Aksium (rear wheel, non-drive side)? My googling only shows up packs of 10..?

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Why don't you true it up replace spoke. Only a few pence for a cheap spoke

Latest Comments