Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Arione R5 - breaking in.

I have a new bike with an Arione R5. I am finding it incredibly uncomfortable when I move forward on to the nose - it kills my perineum when I move forward on to the TT bars.

Does the nose of an R5 wear in, and is it a long process?

I like the length of the R5, & it is fine when I am sitting back.

I've come off a Selle Italia SLR that is like an armchair, and I am trying to decide whether to persevere with the R5 or go for another SLR. I'd rather not buy another saddle if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the advice!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

mtbtomo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Do modern saddles really "break in". Not like real leather saddles. I'd suggest it is more the rider getting used to a saddle than it breaking in nowadays.

Have you used the Selle Italia in a TT position before?

Daft question, but have you got it in the correct position fore/aft and level or slightly tilted?

nopants replied to mtbtomo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Tomo,

Thanks for the response. The SLR has definitely broken in - it has become softer and more comfortable, and you can see the indentations where I sit. I have used it a lot in the TT position.

I think the Arione is in the correct fore/aft position - it is still OK when I sit back, but I am on the nose when on the TT bars. It is totally level at the moment. I'm considering tilting it nose down just a touch. Have you tried this?

Cheers,

N

Latest Comments