Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shoe brands - alternatives to Specialized

I use 2 bolt SPD cleats on my road bikes and currently own 2 pairs of Specialized shoes - Pro carbon MTB and some older Road shoes.

The pro carbons are great but they have chunky MTB style soles. The road ones take both 2 and 3 bolt cleats, but Spesh don't make them any more.

Not a fan of most touring shoes, including the BG Sport Touring, but I may have to go for them since Specialized (size 47) fit my feet really well, whereas Shimano and Giro are too narrow round the toes and Bonts are too flat for my hammer toes.

Anyone recommend any other brands that might suit my feet based on their own experience? Rather not have to buy 3 bolt pedals for both bikes as well as new shoes, since that would also make all my existing shoes redundant except for my older Road ones.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

poppyroad | 8 years ago
0 likes

Try Vittoria shoes yes vittoria shoes also tyres on mrcarbonuk.com

timb27 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Since Spesh don't want me to ride 2 bolt shoes I may have no choice but to switch. Even their new Audax shoes are 3 bolt only. Shame as they looked perfect at first glance

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/shoes/rouad-shoes/audax

timb27 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all. I would try and source a pair of Mavic Toad Pros, but I think they're designed for webbed feet only  3

I didn't know the Shimanos came in different widths, will ask around. Locally in Exeter we're not blessed with big stores that carry lots of shoes in all sizes.

The Giro Treble II do indeed take SPDs, but in a 47 they are too tight in the toe box.

No Spiuk stockists I know of locally, will have a hunt...

Like helmets, it's only worth buying shoes online if they offer free returns. Plus it takes longer.

alanbboyd replied to timb27 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Spatulala wrote:

I didn't know the Shimanos came in different widths, will ask around. Locally in Exeter we're not blessed with big stores that carry lots of shoes in all sizes.

And if it helps, I always have to go up one size in Shimano, currently riding with XC50Ns; expect I'll replace them with XC51N.

hsiaolc replied to timb27 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Spatulala wrote:

Thanks all. I would try and source a pair of Mavic Toad Pros, but I think they're designed for webbed feet only  3

The Giro Treble II do indeed take SPDs, but in a 47 they are too tight in the toe box.

No Spiuk stockists I know of locally, will have a hunt...

Like helmets, it's only worth buying shoes online if they offer free returns. Plus it takes longer.

The quicker way to try shoes online is to buy a few sizes and then return the one that doesn't fit. With Shimano R171 I feel they have given it much more room around the toe than their other shoes I've tried and have so the wide will give you even more room.

I have the SIDI top end and even then I feel the R171 beats them hands down by far.

Let me put it this way. For me cycling shoe is just a tool and something to put on and pedal efficiently. After R171 everything changed and every time I put it on when I commute to work it puts a smile on my face. I want to wear it if I could for normal day wear but unfortunately I can't.

With discounted price it is a bargain. Not to mention I think it looks so amazingly great compared to the other shoes on offer. I got the full black version and it is just too cool.

I wish you the best in finding a shoe that fits you.

jollygoodvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Giro Treble take two-bolt cleats, don't know about fitting though.

fustuarium | 8 years ago
0 likes

Your feet sounds same shape as mine. Not wide but blunt! I tried a lot of road shoes and ended up with Mavic toad pro. Looking at Mavic site they filter shoes by SPD or 2 bolt so they could be worth a look.

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have recently gone back to SPD 2bolt cleats and have found that Shimano RT82 shoes combined with Shimano A600 road pedals are perfect partners. The RT 82s cost me less than £70. They are not all out race shoes but they are stiff enough for most purposes and they are extremely comfortable and ideal for sportives. The A600s are only a few grams heavier than Durace Spd-SLs and are the top of range one sided road SPD pedal. If you shop around you can get these for less than £50. They are a smart gun metal colour therefore will blend well with most paint jobs.

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

most of the mid-range to high-range Shimano shoes are available in regular and wide versions - the wide are substantially more roomy in the toe box. Any quality retailer should have some wide you can try on for size.

AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Following on from hsiaolc and Shep71...
if you go for the Shimano R171s you're in luck price wise - a couple of retailers have got your size and are doing them with £40 off
http://spokely.co.uk/s/r171/
and that includes the wide models

The higher end Spiuk models are so in demand they don't really get discounted so much, especially not in the larger sizes
http://spokely.co.uk/s/spiuk+shoes/

Shep73 replied to AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes
AJ101 wrote:

Following on from hsiaolc and Shep71...
if you go for the Shimano R171s you're in luck price wise - a couple of retailers have got your size and are doing them with £40 off
http://spokely.co.uk/s/r171/
and that includes the wide models

The higher end Spiuk models are so in demand they don't really get discounted so much, especially not in the larger sizes
http://spokely.co.uk/s/spiuk+shoes/

Found mine at Evans online £103. But would happily pay full whack after using them.

Shep73 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Spuik RC 15, they are like slippers, although not an ideal shoe in the winter.

timb27 replied to Shep73 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Are the Spiuk RC15s not 3 bolt only? Struggling to find a 2 bolt shoe that matches this product name?

Shep73 replied to timb27 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Spatulala wrote:

Are the Spiuk RC15s not 3 bolt only? Struggling to find a 2 bolt shoe that matches this product name?

3 bolt only. Have you considered swopping to 3 bolt?

Shep73 replied to timb27 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Spatulala wrote:

3 bolt only. Have you considered swopping to 3 bolt?

graybags replied to Shep73 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, but OK with overshoes  1

hsiaolc | 8 years ago
0 likes

I know you said you rather not but you didn't say you will not.

I leave 2 bolt spd for MTB. Use SPD SL for road and I recently got Shimano R171 and best shoe ever. Compared to my Rapha it is night and day in terms of comfort.

And R171 is good value for money I feel and I believe they have wide version for your problem.

Latest Comments