Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Ksyrium sl still as good?

My Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, now four years old need to be replaced. My first reaction was to just get another set, what could be better? I thought before doing so I'd consult the collective wisdom of this forum. For £640 are they still the best around? Grateful for any views. Richard

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

terrytubby | 13 years ago
0 likes

Quite interested in this as one of my friends reccommended the SL as I use towpaths and the odd track now and again in amongst the roads. I know the Equipe is the entry level but just been nosing around the net and found another model here called the Elite:

Mavic Kysrium Elite. Is it a false economy to consider a set of these instead of SL's ?

richardelliott | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, much as I thought. I too have put mine through the odd nuclear holocaust and theyve always come out fine, much finer than various parts of me. I've hit bumps that have made me think they simply must have bent and they havn't. Almost spookily strong and light.
I've also broken two spokes on separate occasions on the drive side of the rear one, both times in France where getting them fixed was quick and simple.
So, I appreciate your comments and will get on with the painful process of parting with the cash. Richard

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I have 2009 Ksyrium SL Premiums that I really love. They have proved to be bombproof and very reliable. They are reasonably light, not that aero, but nice and stiff and all round very competent and above all, good looking!

I also have a set of HED Ardennes which are lighter and faster due to much better aero properties, but I have had some issues with the freehub bearings. That said, they ride very nicely, and are possibly a better all round ride, just don't think they will survive a nuclear holocaust, which I'm sure the SL's will!

There are other wheels around that perform as well for the money, but my experience has found that they tend to be much more temperamental than the Mavics, which are a true fit and forget wheelset...oh, did I mention that they look good too?

Latest Comments