Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Classifieds Scams

Apologies if this is not a new topic ... but I recently advertised a frame for sale in the classifieds. It's been a while since I bought or sold anything on a bike site and previously I've had good experiences with genuine people. This sale attracted several slightly odd replies with questions about details which were in the ad and some dodgy grammar. One actually sent "paypal" payment details with a request to forward money to a shipping agent in the States! The documents sent were (nearly) direct copies of Paypal's. Paypal obviously confirmed that no money had been transferred and they now have copies of the documents.
Just wondered if this type of scam was common on the site?
Oh and the frame's still for sale... getting paranoid about replying to requests for info  2

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

therevokid | 8 years ago
0 likes

i love the ones that say ...

"hi seller, i very interest in your item salable. can you send me pictures by
email, details of current offer ...." etc, etc.

your ad clearly had piccies and prices and condition !! straight into the spam
folder  3

pauldmorgan | 8 years ago
0 likes

The scams are not just about getting the goods off you for nowt - they may also be after details that allow them access to your paypal account via your email account - make sure your passwords are strong and not guessable.

pib59 replied to pauldmorgan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes, good point. Passwords have been changed.

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

It used to be a cheque could be returned up to 6 months from clearing, and the 1st you would know is the money just leaving your account. This has been tidied up and AFAIK it's now 6 working days and then your money is safe,

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

This is how it works, or some variant.

Expresses some interest in bike / car / whatever it is you are flogging, may ask for more pictures or details.

Can't actually come and view or collect the item but will send an agent or (and this can get a bit confusing) someone who for some spurious reason has a payment from the scammer worth more than what you are asking for your item, e.g a cheque that they will sign over to you. The intention then is that you hand over the goods, plus a cheque for the balance or even cash. The scammer may even give you 3 days for the cheque to clear before arranging to have the goods collected.

But whatever the permutation the end result is that you hand over the goods, and possibly some money. You think that the scammer's cheque has cleared and can even confirm this with the bank. You think it's all sorted and then about 2 weeks later the scammer's cheque is returned as there are no funds to honour it and your account is debited plus bank charges. The cheque may have cleared but this is not the same as having value - I'm sure someone involved in banking may be able to explain this better.

By this time the scammer is long gone. You handed the goods over so no insurance claim and you learn a lesson about how devious some people are.

So anyway, tell us more about this counterfit C(h)olnago frame you are selling at a knock down price.  39

pib59 replied to Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

When things get completely surreal you feel a bit of a nellie for having exchanged mails with them in the first place but at least the scams do become obvious (he says, tempting fate).
It is Mr Mungecrudle a C(h)..Planet X N2a..olnago. And I can guarantee its provenance.  1 I'm with you on the older, wiser, slower bit by the way and I'm working on the fatter.

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Unfortunate fact of life that scammers exist, try selling a car in Autotrader sometime.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I had some random guy with poor grammar offer me £800 for an old sora group set....that's when I decided to ignore his emails.  35

Latest Comments