Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

GPS watches recommendations

I had a look at some GPS watches but they all seem to be running orientated. Can anyone please say if they have logging issues at speed? Recently the Microsoft bracelet came in for a bashing on here for function and ergonomics.

Why a watch you say? Because it can go with me off the bike unlike a garmin, and always having your phone app on in your back pocket, having to stop to look at it or have it mislog if it doesn't get a signal. A watch would just be there sticking out doing its job and looking cool.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Bazza155 | 8 years ago
0 likes

GarMin Forerunner 310xt, you can get a Quarter turn mount to mount on the bike and on a strap for running

ElCani | 8 years ago
0 likes

You can use one of these to turn a Garmin Edge into a watch. I use it with an Edge 800 which is a bit bulky but still better than running with a phone and excellent when hiking thanks to easy viewing of the map screen.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-910xt-quick-release-kit/

Beatnik69 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Nuvi Ultrasport 500 has settings for running, cycling, hiking and sailing should that be an issue.

bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Garmin 15 last year. Returned it to amazon two weeks later, hated it. Then I actually paid attention to the DC Rainmaker reviews and bought a Polar M400. Love it, wear it almost all the time.

If you're serious about your training, read the reviews and work out what you really need. If you just want a watch that does all the basics for different sports, and does activity step counting, the M400 is a good recommendation.

thereverent | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think some of the Garmin Forerunners just for running can struggle with logging at cycling speeds.
Better to get the triathlon Garmin Forerunner 910XT which has a cycling mode and much longer battery life. It will also work with Garmin cycle components if you want (Speed/Cadence and Power meters) Should be able to get one around £165 on amazon (since the replacement 920XT (£300) came out). I've used one for running and cycling and its the best GPS watch I've come across (I can't justify getting the 920XT yet).

joemmo replied to thereverent | 8 years ago
0 likes
thereverent wrote:

I think some of the Garmin Forerunners just for running can struggle with logging at cycling speeds.
Better to get the triathlon Garmin Forerunner 910XT which has a cycling mode and much longer battery life. It will also work with Garmin cycle components if you want (Speed/Cadence and Power meters) Should be able to get one around £165 on amazon (since the replacement 920XT (£300) came out). I've used one for running and cycling and its the best GPS watch I've come across (I can't justify getting the 920XT yet).

If anything a GPS has to be more sensitive to be accurate at low speed so there is no reason it would struggle with something a few miles an hour faster.

I had a Forerunner that was great for running and cycling. The mistake was to take it surfing and then run it through the washing machine. twice. It never recovered.

Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for some great answers guys. Certainly the Fenix looks the classiest, though it is an eye watering price. I think I might start by sewing a pocket into the back of my tt suit first as a default option of those no pockets runs. Maybe think about throwing some more money at this later.

Beatnik69 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you don't want to spend a fortune try one of these. My wife and I both have one and are happy with them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-NavRun-Heart-Computer-Chest/dp/B003XI...

antonio replied to Beatnik69 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ditto for the navrun, I even bought the same model from Aldi, (badged as Crane) and they do everything I need, more in fact but I just record my training circuits and download to computer. I have had, garmin 110, cateye stealth, two Brytons, all went back as useless, even the replacement ones. The navruns have been brill, just have to check battery top up if not used for a while.

tjm160 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Whichever watch you consider, take a look at DC Rainmakers reviews.

I have the Garmin Fenix 3 which best suited my needs and I'm delighted with it.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/03/garmin-fenix3-detailed-review.html

I was also fortunate to find it for 20% off at; http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk.

A friend was also suitably impressed and promptly purchased one also.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 which I use running and cycling. No problems whatsoever logging rides although if I sort my rides by top speed there are several the unbelievable side of 55 mph. I've used it walking too.
It must be over 3 years old now, the charge sometimes only lasts 4 hours but I have a Duracell pocket charger that does a nifty job of recharging it on a couple of batteries. Hoping it will log an all day ride next month.

BrokenBootneck replied to Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes
Daveyraveygravey wrote:

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 which I use running and cycling. No problems whatsoever logging rides although if I sort my rides by top speed there are several the unbelievable side of 55 mph. I've used it walking too.
It must be over 3 years old now, the charge sometimes only lasts 4 hours but I have a Duracell pocket charger that does a nifty job of recharging it on a couple of batteries. Hoping it will log an all day ride next month.

I have one of these, used it for years bought 2005 had some issues. However if you contact Garmin and mail it to them with a problem for about £50 they will send you a refurbished one. I've had 2 refurbs both seemed brand spankers.

Daveyraveygravey replied to BrokenBootneck | 8 years ago
0 likes
BrokenBootneck wrote:
Daveyraveygravey wrote:

I have one of these, used it for years bought 2005 had some issues. However if you contact Garmin and mail it to them with a problem for about £50 they will send you a refurbished one. I've had 2 refurbs both seemed brand spankers.

Same here, although I've only got through one!

Daveyraveygravey replied to BrokenBootneck | 8 years ago
0 likes
BrokenBootneck wrote:
Daveyraveygravey wrote:

Same here, although I've only got through one!

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well the obvious one is the garmin vivoactive. £100 cheaper than the apple watch con, gps and picks up on cadence, HR etc.

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

Why can't you take a Garmin with you when you're off the bike? A 500/510 isn't much bigger than a GPS watch.

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a Garmin 405, it's big and chunky, but then I've got delicate little hands and wrists. It can be paired with a GSC10, don't know about the newer system though.
Only use it running and the occasional hill walk and have no issues with it but it's not an everyday sort of watch.

Latest Comments