Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aldi!

Looks like Aldi's latest cycling Specialbuys will be available this Sunday, 3 May:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-3-may/

Definitely a more road-focussed range, with the usual selection of jerseys, shorts, bibs, jackets, socks, etc, plus some accessories. CO2 cartridges this time too.

If my experience of past sales is anything to go by, it's worth a look, particularly if you're on a budget or are looking for commuter gear.

I can't make it along myself as I'm on the Isle of Wight Randonnee, but will keep my fingers crossed there's something left on Bank Holiday Monday...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

parksey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I made it to one of my local stores late morning yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised by the availability, there was plenty of pretty much everything left. Maybe Southampton's cyclists are a little more discerning...

I managed to get a pair of the bibs for the daily commute. Haven't ridden in them yet but the pad feels reasonably good when sat on the bike. The fit isn't bad either, being fairly true to the sizing around the waist and hips, and the shoulder straps aren't too tight. Overall quality certainly appears on a par with the likes of lower-end BTwin or DHB gear, so they look to be a bit of a bargain for £12. Proof is very much in the riding mind, but they're only destined for 10 mile round trips anyway.

Also got some yellow-tint glasses and CO2 cartridges and still came away with change from £20!

Definitely worth a look, if you're not predisposed to the likes of Rapha, Gore or Assos!

The Rake | 8 years ago
0 likes

I managed to get some CO2 and a couple of base layers which seem okay. Picked up a pair of £1.99 specs too- no great shakes, but pretty solid and won't fall off

Jimbomitch | 8 years ago
0 likes

It was rubbish, nothing to do with Cycling in my local one at all!!! And then I realised I was in a Lidl......................

werdna67 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bought the bib shorts & I'm very impressed, so much so that I decided not to bother ordering the dhb ones for a comparison. The pad is far better than my Muddy Fox shorts which were similarly priced. The Aldi/Crane gear is far better than the Lidl/Crivit stuff in my opinion.
Next issue is whether to buy a new bike, & if so, road or hybrid. My 12 year old Peugeot mountain bike is still in good condition but I only ride on roads & cycle paths.

HarryTrauts | 8 years ago
0 likes

They didn't have everything in my local Aldi. I wanted some more baselayers and a new jacket as I put a hole in mine when I came off in January, neither of which were there. Socks are always useful, though.

turboprannet | 8 years ago
0 likes

Big queues today! Only went for the co2 inflator to get a spare one and got two of the jackets - they are very good value for money and certainly useful for the commute.

yupiteru | 8 years ago
0 likes

Regarding Aldi/Lidl shorts. I think it depends more on the quality of your backside than the quality of the shorts - Also I found it was more a psychological thing really.

You feel better in £100 shorts because you paid top dollar for them.

fenix | 8 years ago
0 likes

I rate dhb shorts - never liked the Aldi shorts though. I do like the Aldi jackets though. I rate them as good as assos and better than the rapha winter jersey.

Rich71 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you go in too early there is alot of gear that hasnt been put out particulary sunday morning
I went back about 2 hours later and more stuff was on display

werdna67 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get both dhb & Aldi & keep the best fitting.

stenmeister | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought one of their windproof baselayer last year and it was awful. Now my Rapha merino baselayer is a different matter altogether  4

dotdash | 8 years ago
0 likes

I might pop by and get some socks, everything else never fits me or I have already.

CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've had a look at the Aldi offers for this weekend - looks more or less same kit as this time last year, the bibs being the new kid on the block.

I had several items from them, and thought they were okay but the placement of pads were slightly hit and miss. However I recently bought a pair of dhb Classic bibs (at £30 so admittedly a step or 2 up their range from the "Active" bibs) and the difference is very noticeable.

You could order the dhb ones anyway, get the Aldi ones in the scrum and try them both for fit and return the ones that you reject. I had no problems returning items with Aldi due to fit - you obviously can't try them on in store - think of the children!  13

Oh and if cost is important you could always go for either the blue or red dhb shorts and save yourself another 3 quid  4

werdna67 replied to CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I think I'll get both & see what fit is best. I hadn't noticed the cheaper blue or red versions, although they are a little bit loud for my taste  13 , I'll stick to black, plus P & P is free whereas there is P & P on the red & blue as they're under a tenner.

werdna67 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm looking to buy my first pair of bib shorts. I have been considering dhb Active Padded Cycling Bib Short at £12.99.
Now wondering whether to get the Crane/Aldi ones at £11.99.
I've already got a Crane/Aldi long sleeved shirt & a jacket & both are fine for my use.
What are anyone's opinions on which would be better as a first pair - dhb or Crane?

Cheers.

joemmo replied to werdna67 | 8 years ago
0 likes
werdna67 wrote:

I'm looking to buy my first pair of bib shorts. I have been considering dhb Active Padded Cycling Bib Short at £12.99.
Now wondering whether to get the Crane/Aldi ones at £11.99.
I've already got a Crane/Aldi long sleeved shirt & a jacket & both are fine for my use.
What are anyone's opinions on which would be better as a first pair - dhb or Crane?

Cheers.

Really depends on how good the pad is in both. while I think that aldi gear can be great my experience of the shorts is not so good either in fit or pad quality. Personally I'd get the Dhb and if you can afford it to spend a little more on some better cushioning

PhillBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes

Another Randonnee'r, see you there!

parksey replied to PhillBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes
PhillBrown wrote:

Another Randonnee'r, see you there!

Yep.  103

But I'm keeping a very close eye on the weather...

DamienB | 8 years ago
0 likes

Always decent stuff - especially the base layers for winter training. CO2 inflator looks interesting for that money too.
By the time I get there only the Soreen will be left though.

Latest Comments