Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

wheels: advantages over kinesis crosslight cxdisc wheels

looking at disc brake compatible wheels.

taking current wiggle prices, kinesis crosslight cxdisc wheelset, weighing 1553g costs £263.

as a "for example" comparison, Zipp 202 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Disc Wheelset weighs 1530g costs £1887.

Or, say, Novatec Jetfly Alloy Clincher Disc Brake Road Wheelset, weight 1665g cost £395

What do you get with high end wheels that justifies the huge price differential?

Am I missing something or are the kinesis wheels not simply unbelievably good value for money?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't mind having aero benefits on wheels but I am not going to pay silly amounts to get it. I have read that the benefit of aero wheels is worth 40 seconds over a 25 mile tt. Hardly worth paying £1K or more unless you race competitions

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

presumably the aero benefit is not so significant when climbing?

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

You are paying for aero benefits with Zipp. Something that will aid you far more than low weight imo

mtbtomo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Zipp are carbon.... Not necessarily better though. Some people will pay for Zipps though despite no real benefits.

I have the Kinesis wheels and they're excellent for the price and in comparison to probably most other road disc wheels on the market currently. They're not very aero though if that matters.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hunt wheels weigh 1585g for disc wheel set £350 for the pair 27mm deep rim

tom_w | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have the Kinesis ones and I completely agree, they are really good value. They're pretty much as light as most of the non-disc wheels at that price too, despite having more spokes, a rotor mount and so far being bomb-proof. They also behave impeccably in cross winds.

The Zipps on the other hand don't even have a disc specific rim, they still have a brake track. I think the only really good high end alternative at the moment are the Bontrager Aelous (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/bontrager-aeolus-aero-wheel-l...), at 1450g for 30mm deep and around 1550g for 50mm deep.

tom_w | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have the Kinesis ones and I completely agree, they are really good value. They're pretty much as light as most of the non-disc wheels at that price too, despite having more spokes, a rotor mount and so far being bomb-proof. They also behave impeccably in cross winds.

The Zipps on the other hand don't even have a disc specific rim, they still have a brake track. I think the only really good high end alternative at the moment are the Bontrager Aelous (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/bontrager-aeolus-aero-wheel-l...), at 1450g for 30mm deep and around 1550g for 50mm deep.

Latest Comments