Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which Heart Rate Calc?

After some 15 weeks being unable to walk(without aircast) or cycle, I have been given the go ahead to start cycling and physio to improve my foot fracture. As you can imagine virtually all my fitness/strength has faded away as well as my right calf and thigh muscle  2

not to mention the stone I have put on  20

I have been out for a few short rides on my mountain bike but its a little precarious with stopping (unable to quickly put my foot down), also bumps jar into my foot.

So, I have got a KickR turbo to train with whilst my foot/legs gains strength. Here is my problem, I can spin up and maintain a gentle pace and raise my heart rate between 120 to 140bpm. Now depending which heart rate calc I look at, zone 2 is either 108-125(using max heart rate % calc) or 129-142(using Karvonen calc) or 135-145(Zoladz Calc).

I am a 50yr old with a max heart rate 180bpm and a resting heart rate of 54- that used to be 41 prior to injury. I never really bothered so much with zone training before my accident, but after getting a book at xmas and subsequently having an extended time off the bike i have decided to use my recovery period to train, lets say properly  13

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can't or think I could push myself yet to do a lactate threshold test yet. 65%-75% seems a little low in effort for zone 2 to me. I will try a little experiment to see how I get on. I just want to build a base this summer then start power work this autumn.

Shep73 replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

I can't or think I could push myself yet to do a lactate threshold test yet. 65%-75% seems a little low in effort for zone 2 to me. I will try a little experiment to see how I get on. I just want to build a base this summer then start power work this autumn.

65-75 is very close to the LTHR zone 2 for me so it's not far off, but again this is based on knowing your max HR. I would not recommend doing the LTHR test yet, you could do more damage. What was your fitness like before hand. If you do want to do it and have a Garmin unit, I can help you set up a training session on Garmin connect do so you don't need to push any buttons or worry about your warming up ttime.

CXR94Di2 replied to Shep73 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Shep73 wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

65-75 is very close to the LTHR zone 2 for me so it's not far off, but again this is based on knowing your max HR. I would not recommend doing the LTHR test yet, you could do more damage. What was your fitness like before hand. If you do want to do it and have a Garmin uni, I can help you set up a training session on Garmin connect do so you don't need to push any buttons or worry about your warming up ttime.

I was pretty fit, I think?
I could do 100 miler solo at 17mph and hang onto the club rides for 70 miles or so

Shep73 replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:
Shep73 wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

65-75 is very close to the LTHR zone 2 for me so it's not far off, but again this is based on knowing your max HR. I would not recommend doing the LTHR test yet, you could do more damage. What was your fitness like before hand. If you do want to do it and have a Garmin uni, I can help you set up a training session on Garmin connect do so you don't need to push any buttons or worry about your warming up ttime.

I was pretty fit, I think?
I could do 100 miler solo at 17mph and hang onto the club rides for 70 miles or so

Yeah that's very respectable.

Shep73 | 8 years ago
0 likes

What formula does each calculator use to give you your zones. Your zone 2 is 65-75% of your max HR, so if you know your max or have an idea what it could be then just go from that.

Personally I use the LTHR zones which is more reliable than 220-age, which is way off for most people.

Latest Comments